3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why lower?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Rojhan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why lower?

OK, maybe I'm showing my age here (get off my lawn!), but why *lower* a truck? I've seen several Rams and other pickups that are down to within a couple inches of the ground. I expect to see them with various body moldings damaged from going over speed bumps, etc.

I can kinda understand lowering a car for sports/performance (although I still expect body damage). I can understand lifting a truck, especially for 4-wheeling. I just don't get lowering.

Is there something other than "looks"? And, yes, I know that there are a lot of lifted trucks that never even see a dirt road, never mind 4-wheeling. It just seems... wrong... to lower a truck.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:41 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

i hear ya, so do lots of other people. no, 'slamming' a truck serves no other purpose than looks. mildly lowering a truck I can kinda understand too, it will make it more stable and easier to have if it's just a city truck anyway. but slamming is beyond me too

Old 06-16-2009, 10:44 AM
damien1023
Veteran

i think it looks good on some trucks.... most of the ones that are slammed (hopefully) are on an air bag system so they are only slammed when parked. They just raise it back up to normal driving height when they go somewhere....

Old 06-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Bigc9164
Veteran

ya i agree. not too crazy about doing that with a 1500 or above. but i guess its a life style??

Old 06-16-2009, 11:13 AM
That1guy
Veteran

I dont like lowering anything. My ram is a 4wd and it drags the fround from the factory.

The other big thing I dont get is a roll pan. I know a lot of people like them but they seem pointless and ugly to me. Have fun getting in the bed.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:14 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by That1guy
I dont like lowering anything. My ram is a 4wd and it drags the fround from the factory.

The other big thing I dont get is a roll pan. I know a lot of people like them but they seem pointless and ugly to me. Have fun getting in the bed.
u cant open the tailgate get in...

Old 06-16-2009, 11:41 AM
hontzy87
Professional

I personally like slammed trucks, and have many friends with slammed trucks. To tell you the truth, it is like a life style. Just as any offroader likes to lift their truck. Thats one great thing i love about trucks, you can go either way. And especially when it comes to dropping a truck, i think it involves alot more custom work, especially bagging. You get to make it almost like an art, with cutting out wheel wells and shaving door handles and latches, it's pretty talented stuff. And i think it's just a fairly new trend thats starting to get big (well, not that new, but more new then lifting). But, it all comes down personal pref. I personally like dropped and bagged trucks. And to everyone their own opinion. There are just as many people out there who hate lifted trucks, and one thing i don't understand is a lifted truck thats never seen dirt. Thats what i call wasted money. I am definetly dropping my truck, a 4x4 dodge ram 1500 SLT. It's nothing big, just a 2/4 drop to give it a stealth stance. And my reason? cause i am never going to see a trail in my life. Thats what my 2007 Honda TRX 400EX is for . I also think when it comes to dropping and lifting, it involves money too. Depending which way you go, i think there is a big difference. My drop kit is around $800, and a lift kit for my same truck? $1300... I can ride stock wheels on my truck with the drop... But with the lift? thats gunna look pretty gaudy looking. So add another $2k to that and your bumping $3300 for your truck with rubber, rims, and lift as apposed to my $800 for my drop. But, i know i'll most likely get shot down but again, it's all opinion. It's like saying why are people buying 4cyl and not 8cyl's. There are ALOT or differen't reason, it's still a car ya know? Ok, sorry for rambling, but lifted or slammed, a trucks a truck and whoever lifts or drops one is alright in my books

Old 06-16-2009, 11:50 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Old 06-16-2009, 12:01 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

The trucks we drive are personalized to our individual tastes. I have always like to modify my vehicles to some extent. When I was younger it was all about performance either off road or on the street. But I have always liked the look of lowered rides as long as it enhanced driveability. Slammed vehicles are for display. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want. I try to appreciate whatever mod(s) done and learn something about the positive or negative effect of the mod. Enjoy the owners enthusiazim for what he is doing and leave it at that.
A really old guy..... who likes them low and hot!

Old 06-16-2009, 12:01 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one plus side about lowering a ram is the fact that its easier to get in and out of.
i think some of them look good, but never on a 4x4

Quick Reply: Why lower?