3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing clutch pack clips on 9.25 LSD!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:38 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats exactly the usual death knell of these axles.
I just about got away with mine doing that.
My installer removed all the guts from my axel after the fine silvery powdery aluminium was found everywhere in my diff. Fluid....internals ...... and the magnet etc.
He then replaced all the bearings and seal and put in a DTT.
He saifd the caps were scored on mine but, theres still plenty of housing to suuport them.
So, that's how I've been running now for over 23,000 miles or so.
Al.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:42 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting thread. Im glad I pulled and replaced my LSD though

Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 AM
ScottJ175
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abarmby
He saifd the caps were scored on mine but, theres still plenty of housing to suuport them.
That's the plan I came up with last night. If I still have good bearing support then I'll yank all the remaining clips (both on the driver's side are OK) and drive like that until I either sell the truck or score a used axle to build up.

I have a question about the bearing cap though. What's with the bolt in the middle of it? The only diff I've ever torn into was a Ford 8.8 and it had no such thing. I gather they set preload. If so can I disturb one side without disturbing the other?

Old 09-13-2010, 01:22 PM
azlodaniel1
Amateur

I pulled the retaining clips out of mine about a month ago and I have not heard any weird clunks or anything when taking off from a stop.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:39 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ive never heard or seen anyone coming in here saying their LSD failed or gave issues because they pulled them. Thats not to say there isnt wear in them as described but no one I know has take extensive pics of thier LSD, pulled the clips, sealed the rear and driven for x amount of miles and pulled it back apart just to see.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:48 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Ive never heard or seen anyone coming in here saying their LSD failed or gave issues because they pulled them. Thats not to say there isnt wear in them as described but no one I know has take extensive pics of thier LSD, pulled the clips, sealed the rear and driven for x amount of miles and pulled it back apart just to see.

Originally Posted by abarmy
I can personally confirm, that when I had run my LSD without any clips in the pockets for 20K+ miles, the pockets had worn and there were sharp edges to both the clutch pack tabs and the pockets themselves where they had been moving back and forth.
reason enough?

Last edited by dirtydog; 10-11-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:26 PM
Boom-Shakka-Laka
Default Just found one of my clips on the magnent

So it's been a while since anyone posted updates, was wondering how long I got until the clutch pack fails if I completely remove the clips, and also one of them are still in tact but it's pushed out and wearing down the casing bracket on the passenger side.. can i just hammer it back in flush and call that one good? The other it completely gone

Old 11-08-2018, 06:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I think you can get just the clips. I would replace both, and run it as long as the rear seems to be working properly.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:28 PM
Boom-Shakka-Laka

Its already not working properly. The limited slip doesn't engage and it acts like an open differential..
I just bought it a few weeks ago and it appears like it's been a problem before I had it seeing how the pin is wearing into the carrier bracket.. Looks like I have to replace the clutch pack

Last edited by Boom-Shakka-Laka; 11-08-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

You wanna get that done then, before it gets any worse.

Quick Reply: Replacing clutch pack clips on 9.25 LSD!