3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing clutch pack clips on 9.25 LSD!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 10:02 PM
Boom-Shakka-Laka
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, I know... all I really wanted to do was replace the axle bearings and seals... It's Turing out to be a much bigger project than I could have anticipated. Looks like the pinion seal is leaking too so I might have to replace them bearings as well. Never been inside a differential before but I think by the time I'm done with this project I'll be a pro!

Last edited by Boom-Shakka-Laka; 11-10-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:18 PM
Later2u
Amateur

Well, since you cracked open this can of worms again, would you mind posting as you go along with pictures? That would be awesome!

Old 11-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Boom-Shakka-Laka
Default Too late

It's already done but I will give some advice for problems I ran into.. first, to get the spider gears in and out clamp down on the side gear that is opposite to the ring gear, place the carrier (ring gear down) on an axle shaft. I put my axle shaft inside the rotor so it would stay standing up. And then simply spin the spider gears into place.. once they are in place clamp down on the ring gear side and slide the washers into place. Release the side gears and now put the pin threw them. If the pin does not want to go, lightly tap the side gears with a piece of wood or brass punch to move them just enough to get that pin in.
the next part I had trouble with was the carrier adjusters. I had gotten a piece of all thread bar from a hardware store that ended up snapping before I could get the full 70-75 ft lbs of torque, I think it broke right around 68 ft lbs, so either buy the correct tool, or heavy duty material..
lastly always start with a lower torque than what is recommended. Some bolts will break while others wont. For example my right adjuster lock screw broke with 10 ft lbs after the left side went to 10 ft lbs no problem. (I didn't fix this as I didn't have a screw extractor or a drill on hand, I also needed it the next day for work.) I do plan on taking it to a local mechanic when I get a chance to fix the adjuster screw and double check my work. This is only because I trust him and he always give me a good deal. Plus seeing how this was my first time doing an extensive repair like this it will give me peace of mind that my adjuster isn't getting loose, wearing down my bearings, and going to make me need a whole new carrier..

Old 11-15-2018, 10:23 PM
Later2u
Amateur

Good information Shakka, Thank You!

Quick Reply: Replacing clutch pack clips on 9.25 LSD!