3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DMH Exhaust Cutout ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:54 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yah having straight pipes, the only downside is its always loud.. I took my exhaust off to straight pipe it and just decided to leave everything off and put a turndown on it under the cab.. it sounds awesome and i love the look of having no tailpipes coming out anywhere.. but then when you wanna be quiet you cant.. my neighbours dont like it when i warm my truck up in the morning for work!!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by 05DodgeRamHemi
I simply am not going to sleep tonight waiting for the exhaust in the morning lol. It's like my perfect dream, running straight pipes but not being commited to it full time. I remember being so disappointed with the Super 44 exhaust thinking to myself god damnit, it's moderately loud and drones like a bitch. Now I'll have a way better sounding exhaust but with the luxury of putting it back to stock when I need a break from the tone or when there are passengers in the truck...excitement galore.
You are finally going to have an exhaust that you will be happy with.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was discussing with my older brother where we could locate the cutout switch inside the truck, and we were pondering over the idea of putting the switch where the power seat buttons are. This way cops won't become suspicious of switches if I get pulled over, and we could tap into that power source. Do you think this could work? Also, where are guys running their wires to get inside the cab of the truck? It'd be helpful to know so I can guide me electrically inclined brother on the job. Thanks Guys.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:23 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

The wiring on my is ran along the top of the frame on the passenger side, up into the engine bay, along the wiring harness on the back of the back of the engine compartment and through one of the rubber grommets on the fire wall that I had the power for amp through and then up into the dash to the top cigarette lighter.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Also the wiring is really simple too. just a positive and negative wire. As for switch location, when you are getting pulled pulled over, not if but when you get pulled over the last thing you want to be doing is reaching down the side of your seat as the officer is walking up to you. Putting it on the dash makes it look like you are turning off the radio or something. And its really not that noticeable either.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by 05DodgeRamHemi
I was discussing with my older brother where we could locate the cutout switch inside the truck, and we were pondering over the idea of putting the switch where the power seat buttons are. This way cops won't become suspicious of switches if I get pulled over, and we could tap into that power source. Do you think this could work? Also, where are guys running their wires to get inside the cab of the truck? It'd be helpful to know so I can guide me electrically inclined brother on the job. Thanks Guys.
The power seat buttons is a different idea, I have never heard that one before. If I was you, I would do like truckin said and put it where the cigar lighter is. That is where I put mine and it is very easy to get to and the wiring for the lighter works perfectly to power the cutout.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:22 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Ok fellas, had the cutout installed this morning. I didn't have the motor installe yet though, so right now it's just opened up manually. First impressions honestly, is it is still quiet comapred to what I expected. I guess these Hemi motors just don't bark like the 360 Magnums did, but they outperform them quite a bit more lol. Even my exhaust guy said he expected the start-up to be a little more aggressive.

Once you get driivng it can get pretty darn loud, but it's not exactly the sound I like. I think a flowmaster makes a better sound, but this is my best option I have. I like the fact I'll be able to shut it up when I want, and that makes it more appealing. I think once I get the electric motor on there it's going to make the cutout more valuable when I can just have it loud when I want. Overall, it does sound rediculously loud, not percisely the sound I'm crazy about, or the vibration I look for, but it's the most ideal and realistic set-up I could ask for. Can't wait to post some videos and pictures.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:03 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so did you put it before the muffler and the resonators too ??

Old 06-20-2009, 12:28 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Put on an intake and ditch the Hemi Hat, it really truly does change the tone of the exhaust and gives it a much better growl, even with a cut out it will deeper and better on start up and under WOT. IT will even deepen the stock exhaust tone a little.

What sound were you expecting? If you think the flowmaster sounded better then you did something wrong.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by truckin151

What sound were you expecting? If you think the flowmaster sounded better then you did something wrong.
That is a good question. I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that they were disappointed with the sound of the cutout and thought the muffler sounded better.

Quick Reply: DMH Exhaust Cutout ?