3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diff Covers/Trans Pan/Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:26 PM
JoshGotaHemi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff Covers/Trans Pan/Fluid

Hey guys,

Just hit 50k on the truck, ready for some maintenance. I was thinking that while I have the rear diff cover off, and the trans pan open, that I might replace them with something with cooling fins and more capacity. Do any of you guys have a cover/pan that you're fond of? Is there a diff cover for the front diff(1500 w/IFS), or is the front crossmember too close?

I'm going to start using Royal Purple, so I need to order some of that soon. Do any of you use the Synthetic Royal Purple in the trans? Is it ok for me to mix synthetic with non-synthetic, since I know all the fluid won't come out of the torque converter/trans? How much fluid will I need in the trans during the service? Thanks in advance!!

Josh

Old 06-20-2009, 12:42 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JoshGotaHemi
Hey guys,

Just hit 50k on the truck, ready for some maintenance. I was thinking that while I have the rear diff cover off, and the trans pan open, that I might replace them with something with cooling fins and more capacity. Do any of you guys have a cover/pan that you're fond of? Is there a diff cover for the front diff(1500 w/IFS), or is the front crossmember too close?

I'm going to start using Royal Purple, so I need to order some of that soon. Do any of you use the Synthetic Royal Purple in the trans? Is it ok for me to mix synthetic with non-synthetic, since I know all the fluid won't come out of the torque converter/trans? How much fluid will I need in the trans during the service? Thanks in advance!!

Josh
I use RP in everything on my truck. The Syn/Non Syn mix will be ok. The only way to get it all out is to do a flush. If I remember right it takes around 7-8 quarts to do a drain and refill and filter change. Remember there are 2 filters on the tranny to be changed.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:48 PM
JoshGotaHemi
Rookie

I think I did know that, I'll go to the dealer Monday to get the filters and friction modifier. One is the normal flat type filter and the other is a screw on, correct?

Old 06-20-2009, 01:00 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

I think I did know that, I'll go to the dealer Monday to get the filters and friction modifier. One is the normal flat type filter and the other is a screw on, correct?
Thats right and if your using RP in your diffs also then you don't need the FM. Your decision but the filters would probably be cheaper from a parts house such as O'Rielys or Advance.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:35 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

And if you take loose the trans line at the cooler and then crank the truck for a bit, it will pump the old oil out and allow you to replace it with fresh oil. Thats how I changed all my old oil out. I also use RP in the trans. It took 17 qrts and cost about $10 a qrt. When replacing that flat filter, I had to go to Autozone and buy the little hook tools so I could pull that old Oring out. I tried things from around the house including a clothes hanger but the metal wasnt hard enough. I think I paid $10 for them (pack of 4)

Old 06-20-2009, 01:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ Mechanics pick set. I use mine ALL THE TIME!!! To clean out my bowl too.....,aaahahahahaha

Old 06-20-2009, 04:04 PM
toxdoc
Veteran

Hey guys,

Josh
Like many others on DF - I use Royal Purple in the trans. & diff. fluids even Royal Purple Ice in the radiator - Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 filter for oil. For pans I use the PML polished pans and have had good service with them. There are several others that are nice as well***

Old 06-20-2009, 06:23 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

How does that Ice in the rad work for you? Is it worth it and was there any noticable change in the temp gauge?

Quick Reply: Diff Covers/Trans Pan/Fluid