3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mods for towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:51 AM
takin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods for towing

Hello to everyone. I am new to the site and I'm lovin it so far.
I was reading the post about the wiring mod that helps the tranny shift faster. After reading about it I went home and tried it and its working so far. BTW- I have an 02 QC that I bought new and put every mile on it (85k). My question(s) is: I bought a new camping trailer a few weeks ago and it is pretty heavy(7800 pounds). I know that it is a little more than the truck is rated but is a freakin Dodge right! I was wondering what cheap inexpensive mods are there that I can do that will help my truck pull better. I have installed a K&N air filter on it several years ago. I have an after market muffler with turn downs ( I can't remember the brand). So, I would appreciate any info that ya'll may have. BTW- Hello from Arkansas (by way of Texas).
Just a litte something that may help someone.
I was having trouble with the lock and speaker in the driver side rear door and I pulled the door panel off and found the wiring coming from the truck into the door had broken inside the rubber protector. Solderd all the wires and problem solved.
TA

Old 06-26-2009, 09:57 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to DF! need more details, motor, 2wd 4wd etc and we are a visual group you will learn. so get us some pics

Old 06-26-2009, 09:59 AM
regert
Professional

Welcome to DF, you might want to think about helper bags in the rear to help with the load of the trailer, and keep the front of the truck pointed down.

Thanks Regert

Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 AM
MikeFarm
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Air Bags & a good WD hitch setup

Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

gears will help you pull better also.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:09 AM
takin

Sorry about that. I thought about that after I had posted. I have a 2WD and 4.7. I will have to post pics later. I do have the WD Hitch and it works pretty good. I have pulled it a couple of times and it did ok. My next trip is next week and i will be in some pretty steep hills(mountains). So I am kinda nervous. What kind of bags are recommended? I am about to have to put new tires on the thing and I will probably get a little stiffer tire for it. Any recommendations. 20" tire. I have put one set on it since I've had it and I just went with the same kind that OEM put on it. I want to try to stay with American made tire. I try not to support the foreign companies, but can't always keep from it. BUY AMERICAN right.
Got another question...It is a black truck and you know how pretty a black vehicle is but it is alot of work. I am about to wax it...what is the best wax to use for protection and to remove scratches? Thanks for all yalls info.
TA

Old 06-26-2009, 11:14 AM
John M
Record Breaker

That's a lot of weight to tow in those conditions without having a Hemi under the hood. It's more about power under the curve than peak ratings; the 4.7 is going to have a very hard time.

Gears may be enough to tip the scales but you really need more power.

The stock Goodyears are the worst tire ever put on a vehicle. They don't do anything well and do a lot of things horribly. In the rain you might as well have a deathwish. Grab some Cooper Zenon's in the stock size and you'll wonder how you ever did without them. I believe they have a better load rating than stock too.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion

cooper zeon's are a great tire. Gears will be your best bet for more pulling power. and as far as a wax you cant go wrong with mcguires. Couple guys on here have used the clay bar on there's I am gonna try that myself soon!

Old 06-26-2009, 11:39 AM
abarmby
Champion

1) Get yourself a trany cooler. This will preserve your auto box.
2) Make sure all your fluids are OK and don't need changing. Remember the rear end
fluid change is very 15K.
3) Are your pads in the brakes OK? You'll need good stopping power pulling that weight.
4) Helper bags as previously mentioned.
5) I have recently usd the Meguiars clay bar, ScratchX 2.0 and Deep Crystal Carnauba
Wax. I found these products to be excellent.
Hope these suggestions help and good luck and safe drive on your trip?
Al.

Quick Reply: Mods for towing