3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hey guys, Couple of things if you don't mind

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Hoss356
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
1)fluid doesnt circulate, isolating the resovoir and evaporating the fluid out of the radiator.
If fluid isn't circulating wouldn't that prevent the hot coolant from getting to the radiator and evaporating in the first place.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Originally Posted by Hoss356
If fluid isn't circulating wouldn't that prevent the hot coolant from getting to the radiator and evaporating in the first place.
The coolant in the radiator isn't hot?

I live in Texas btw, and this started happening when we started getting days like 105, 103, 102. lol

Old 06-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by Ice-Forever
If the cap was bad would the system still hold pressure though?

I mean, I already changed the thermostat last night, but if it's still losing fluid and getting hot after a day or two, I will definitely try that next.
Holding pressure is a relative term, could be 2lbs could be 20lbs.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:55 PM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
1) I'm 99% sure the problem is not the temp gauge (sorry cowchick). I've had this problem on other vehicles. Your friend is 100% correct with the thermostat diagnosis. Thats exactly what happens... fluid doesnt circulate, isolating the resovoir and evaporating the fluid out of the radiator. Changing the t-stat should definently fix it. If its still running super hot on occasion, change out the temp sender (cheap $10 part), and if that doesnt fix it, perhaps the water pump, but im really stretchin it here...it should've been fixed with the t-stat.
Never be sorry - that was something else I thought of, but I wasn't sure on saying it out loud in fear it would be far fetched... guess I need to be a lil more confident in speaking 2 different diagnoses' shouldn't I?

--Cow-Chick--

Old 06-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Alright well I drove it around a bit in the 105 degree heat and it was running a little hot still...Not all the way topped out at hot, but about 3/4 of the way up and it usually sits at about the middle.

I was thinking maybe I didn't put enough coolant in last night after I replaced the thermostat, but it would pull it from the reservoir tank if that was the problem, wouldn't it? Cuz that tank is still full.

I'll try replacing the cap later, but I have to get to work and don't have time to do it right now...

I'm thinking it might be a head gasket after what that one guy said here. I don't notice any smoke necessarily when I start it up, but I have noticed a smell that smelled like coolant sometimes.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Bertens
Professional

Well the 4.7 has aluminum heads so if you have been driving around for awhile with it overheating the heads might be warped.... Thats not such a cheap fix.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Originally Posted by Bertens
Well the 4.7 has aluminum heads so if you have been driving around for awhile with it overheating the heads might be warped.... Thats not such a cheap fix.
I don't drive it when it's hot. I've just been having to fill the radiator back up every couple days and it runs middle of the road like it's supposed to...But again, every couple days I open the cap and there is little to no coolant in the radiator and I have to fill it up again.

How much would it be to replace a head gasket if it is indeed blown?

Old 06-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Bertens
Professional

At a shop? Not too sure. I can imagine that its not going to be cheap because it would be a solid day getting the heads on and off.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Well honestly I could do it at my friends house w his dad and him I think. His dad built a 69 camaro and a 68 from nothing, so I know he can do it I just didn't know how much parts would cost and what not

Old 06-28-2009, 12:51 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

A bad radiator cap can allow pressurized coolant to escape from the radiator but not allow it to draw any back in when it cools down.
If it boiled it out, your reservoir would have overflowed and blew coolant all over the engine bay. It won't just evaporate from the cooling system.
Sounds like you have an air pocket now and perhaps a blown head gasket allowing coolant to be burned in a cylinder.
The radiator may be partially clogged as well.

Quick Reply: Hey guys, Couple of things if you don't mind