3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:10 AM
shortyR6
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is helpful, i noticed mine was leaking as well. i did not know where it may have come from, but now it makes sense to me after reading this thread. i too have some fluid slung on the gas tank and exhaust.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:54 PM
Willy McNasty
Rookie

Is this also known as a diff crush sleeve?

Does anyone have a PN?

Thanks.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:43 AM
BigSloth
Professional

Marking the nut and counting the turns will get you close, but not exactly back to where it needs to be. The best way to do it is to remove both rear wheels, and remove the brake calipers. Remove the driveshaft, and using a beam type in/lb torque wrench measure the amount of force it takes to rotate the pinion. Then use dirtydogs instructions to replace the seal. Once you get it back to the mark, measure the torque again and compare. it should be within a few in/lb, tighten the nut 5 ft/lbs at a time until the torque needed to rotate is the same.

That is the way we, as well as most other shops would do it. Because as stated above, nobody wants to pay the $800-1200 to replace the crush sleeve when replacing a $19 oil seal.

Quick Reply: Leak