3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hidden VIN on '08 Ram 1500

Old 07-04-2009, 03:08 PM
rdownward
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden VIN on '08 Ram 1500

Does anybody out there know where to find the hidden VIN that is stamped on the frame someplace on an '08 Ram 1500? I want to make sure my VIN tag number and the number stamped on the frame match. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Roger D.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:13 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you suspect its different for some reason? The VIN is on the door frame tag. It would've been very difficult for some nefarious character to fake the label and the dash tag.

The dealer could scan the door label and determine if something's outta whack.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:39 PM
rdownward

I purchased the truck as a theft recovery with a salvage title. I am finding telltale signs that perhaps the entire cab and other sheet metal may have been mounted on a different chassis (maybe an earlier year with more miles). Therefore, I need to find the VIN that is stamped on the frame so I can be sure the tag on the door and the VIN plate on the dash all match.

Roger D.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:06 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rdownward
I purchased the truck as a theft recovery with a salvage title. I am finding telltale signs that perhaps the entire cab and other sheet metal may have been mounted on a different chassis (maybe an earlier year with more miles). Therefore, I need to find the VIN that is stamped on the frame so I can be sure the tag on the door and the VIN plate on the dash all match.

Roger D.

I highly doubt they pieced your truck together to just drive around stolen. Factory panels are notoriously mispainted, mis-aligned...etc.. My pass door isn't really lined up all that well and my hood has a 1/2" gap on the driverside. Just some common things among the car world. i think since your looking for out of place things, your just noticing more and more of how imperfect a vehicle can be today.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:33 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I know there are a couple of stickers on the frame with the vin on them.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:10 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I highly doubt they pieced your truck together to just drive around stolen. Factory panels are notoriously mispainted, mis-aligned...etc.. My pass door isn't really lined up all that well and my hood has a 1/2" gap on the driverside. Just some common things among the car world. i think since your looking for out of place things, your just noticing more and more of how imperfect a vehicle can be today.
well i could also see someone putting a newer body on an older frame to make some $$$.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 PM
chelly

I too am looking for the hidden VIN in my Ram 1500 ('07). I bought a reconstructed vehicle, and when he rebuilt it, he changed out the locks and ignition. The truck only came with one key, so when I went to the stealership to get a second one, they cut it based not on the key I had, but on the VIN. Well, it goes in, but doesn't turn. I know when this guy rebuilt this, he replaced the engine, tranny, and axles. Would any of those have the VIN on them?

Old 12-18-2009, 08:51 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

Shouldn't the dealer know where to look? I'd go back and inform them the key doesn't work and let them know your situation. A good dealer should be able to help you find out. Also, is or was your truck chipped? Does the working key you have now have the little transponder built in?

Old 12-18-2009, 09:53 PM
chelly

The key I have now has the transponder in it. I can't program my own keys unless I have at least two, which is why I was getting my second from the dealer. When they cut it, it was them who figured out that it didn't work. They said the only way they could get it to work is if I got the VIN from the truck the locks came from. Sound screwy to you? Yeah, me too. Can't they just program the key and then copy the original on a machine like they do at the hardware store, instead of cutting it by VIN? Or do they need the correct VIN to program the key?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:19 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

You should try calling your local Ace hardware store. One of our members, HammerZ71, mentioned that his local Ace had a machine capable of making a spare with just one key.

Here's the thread about it >>> https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...t-a-shock.html

Yes, it does sound a lil goofy that the dealer couldn't make you a proper key.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hidden VIN on '08 Ram 1500