3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The System In Your Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:07 PM
tuned93
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 500 watt Power Bass 12'', and a 500 watt X-plod amp. the box is just a $50 sub box i bought off ebay. and i just threw together some carpeted particle board for the amp rack. all the excess wiring is wrapped up in the storage area under the amp to make it clean. it sounds good, not enought to blow the windows out, but its all hooked up to the factory head unit. im content with it... Name:  IMG_1914.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  91.9 KB

Last edited by tuned93; 07-06-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 07-06-2009, 02:24 PM
minker3k

I have an 07 quad cab with a box under the seat with 2 kicker cvt shallow mounts and they sound great, no rattling. But as with any shallow mount sub it will bottom out on some songs if its turned loud, but not too much. I got the box from supercrewsound.com i think.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:09 AM
bigmac18
Veteran

I went with 2 10" Kicker L5's. I custom fiberglassed in the storage tubs and used mdf for the top. Put the amps under the front seats. I can't turn them all the way up, there just isnt enough air space to let them reach their full potential. But I am happy with how loud they are at half power.

I also built this out of spare MDF I had, and it sounded REALLy good! a single 12" RF Punch (old school one) firing down. I liked the sound of it, just didn't like the anount of room it took up in the back seat.

I also had an ebay box with 2 12" RF's in it, but there wasn't any airspace in it at all. I really wasn't happy with the sound of it, so that one only lasted about a week, then I decided to build my own

Old 07-07-2009, 02:04 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Bigmac nice work! L5 box looks tight! Clearly you can see that Egay box has Zero airspace inside. The subs are practically falling off the edges...lol

The middle floor box... Holy screw haven!...lol Did you use any liquid nails or just screw the crap outta that box! i use liquid nails and screw every 5/6inches usually. Not every inch...lol Can't argue with that. It's just funny to see.

When i built my custom box, I mounted it right to the floor. I used the floor as the bottom of the box so I could squeeze every bit of airspace possible. I was able to obtain .90cu.ft per each side!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:59 PM
shinna202
Amateur

where did you buy the probox?
i went to their official website but could not find a place to buy.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:41 AM
bigmac18
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Bigmac nice work! L5 box looks tight!
Thanks! I am in the process of looking into building a new one to house 1 10" Kicker CVR and only using half of the under seat storage, so the other half will still be functional as storage.

The middle floor box... Holy screw haven!...lol Did you use any liquid nails or just screw the crap outta that box! i use liquid nails and screw every 5/6inches usually. Not every inch...lol Can't argue with that. It's just funny to see.
Ha, Ya, I didn't realize how overboard I had gone with the screws until I saw it from further away when I was done. I usually don't use that many, I think it was due to fact that it was the end of a long day and the brews were flowing pretty good by then. And, yes, I ALSO used liquid nails! HA, that thing would have survived a nuclear explosion!

Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by shinna202
where did you buy the probox?
i went to their official website but could not find a place to buy.
You will need to find a ProBox dealer and buy from them as ProBox themselves dont sell off thier site. However, being I used to have a Probox with Kickers and then moved into a Foxbox, I can tell you the Foxbox is much better. Much.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bigmac18
Thanks! I am in the process of looking into building a new one to house 1 10" Kicker CVR and only using half of the under seat storage, so the other half will still be functional as storage.

AHHHH. Don't do it! You'll regret it! You have 2-10" kicker L5's right now! Those push as much air as 12's do. It's gotta sound descent?
Now you want to go to kickers low end cub, the CVR? Your freakin crazy.
Aint no storage space worth losing 2 good subs over and replace them with one mediocre at best sub. For what, so you can keep a set of jumper cables under there??? All the stuff I need fits in the middle storage compartment under the center seat! Or tucked under the back seat on top of the box

Think of it like this. i'm smackin you upside your head for a wake up call. i'm also saving you some money and time wasted on a silly enclosure for that mediocre at best sub....lmao

Old 07-08-2009, 01:44 PM
bigmac18
Veteran

AHHHH. Don't do it! You'll regret it!
Ya..that's why I said thinking of doing it...not sure yet, I may also just build it to hold 1 of the L5's. I just need something to keep me busy. And I want to improve on some things that I learned from building the first one.
But for me right now, 1 10" sub is all I need. I don't even turn these up past halfway anymore.

OH, and thanks for the call.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:51 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

^^^^LMAO. No problem. One L5 is fine. You just can't go to a CVR.. that's scraping the bottom of the barrel.

i will admit. I only crank up my stereo once in a great while, but having 2 subs is like triple the output of a single sub in every aspect. Hits harder and firmer. Much tighter....etc At least that's how is always seemed to me.
I have my bass gain **** at 1/4 for my subs. Reason being....Much cleaner sound and accurate respnse. With 1 sub, you'll have to turn the gain **** up a little and force more sound out of one speaker. i know where you are coming from, but unless you build a Ported enclosure for 1 L5. i think you'll be reverting back to the 2-10" L5 sealed box. ported will please you. 1 sealed 10" will not.
hey, i don't even know you yet i know what will please you???

Just going from experience is all. An no, I'm not a sub *****, I'm in recovery now

Quick Reply: The System In Your Truck?