3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

For Those Who Have Painted Their Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:06 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks dirty the dupilcolor silver is actually a really close match bc ive done my handles with it and cant even tell the difference. another idea i could do is like how steve made his eyelids. he sprayed nightshade on the outside, let it dry, and then painted the blue and it turned out great. what do you think about doing that?

Old 07-07-2009, 04:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I think after all said and done with the inside silver eyelids, painting niteshade on the outside may look pretty sweet. it seems that it would cover any discrepancies of shade dicoloration or any imperfections that may show. i would hold off on the niteshade untill your all done and see if you like the silver by itself. it may look really nice w/out any shading. Then you won't have to worry about any touch-ups later on because rocks and bugs on the niteshade spray.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:21 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

ok i think you miss understand. i would be spraying the nightshade on the outside. then once it dries painting silver over it. the nightshade just would be used so the light wont pass through it.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:46 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
ok i think you miss understand. i would be spraying the nightshade on the outside. then once it dries painting silver over it. the nightshade just would be used so the light wont pass through it.

Why? Let me get this right. Your gonna spray VHT as the first coat and then silver over that on the outide? Doesn't make sense. You'd be better off just primering and painting the normal way if your on the outside.

I thought your intentions were to spray the inside silver and then the outside VHT. 3-4 thin coats of silver on the inside will be enough to block 95% of the light. VHT on the outside would get rid of the rest

Old 07-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine and it wasn't that bad, and mine are 07 big boys....If you want a good color match go buy a 5oz match can from the dealer, not that expensive. Use a primer on it though, those headlights get hot and cold so quick that it will look funny. Get a good high temp black RTV gasket maker too. I used regular masking tape and just froze the lights to get the tape off, no chrome came off

On the eyelid, don't worry about the VHT. Just use a white primer and then dust coat the primer to make it look silver. Unless you want the can of VHT to do your tails with, cause I have a half can left over from my tails and 3rd brake light. I saw someone use a blue coat on the inside and a light dust coat of silver on the outside and it lit up blue...really cool with HIDs!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:38 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Why? Let me get this right. Your gonna spray VHT as the first coat and then silver over that on the outide? Doesn't make sense. You'd be better off just primering and painting the normal way if your on the outside.

I thought your intentions were to spray the inside silver and then the outside VHT. 3-4 thin coats of silver on the inside will be enough to block 95% of the light. VHT on the outside would get rid of the rest
ok look at 02steve's headlights. he has the eyelids done like im going to do. he used the night shade to block out the light and then color match after that drive. thats what i want to do. spray the night shade first to block out the light and then silver on top of that to match the truck.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Matt99
I did mine and it wasn't that bad, and mine are 07 big boys
I spent forever trying to get the housings and lenses separated then another forever sealing them back up I used a TON of liquid gasket. You can't see the mess unless you take the headlights out and thankfully they're completely sealed. No moisture in them

Old 07-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
One other thing. Since your spraying the inside, this means no primer can be used obvioulsy and you'll see the paint color itself with no clearcoat, just the plastic casing.
Why can't you prime and clear coat? Most the people who are following the DIY did both

Old 07-07-2009, 08:05 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

this might not be worth it lol

Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

IT was deffinately worth it I had my heads off my truck for 3 days though.

BEFORE

AFTER

Quick Reply: For Those Who Have Painted Their Headlights