3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

are Hemi's junk????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:54 PM
regert
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Canada I think alot of people assume that there car is good to run 87oct, I've seen guy's filling up there benz and bmw's with 87oct wonder if there having issues now?

Old 07-15-2009, 02:40 PM
BIG HOOK
Professional

Interesting discussion.

I must say that I've run the 89 in my non MDS 07 Hemi Ram and will continue to do so for as long as I own it (which with me is forever, Lol). Last Autumn, my girlfriends parents bought a new 08 Chrysler 300C with the MDS 5.7 Hemi and they run 87 in there. I don't have it in front of me but I believe the 300 owners manual even states that it is acceptable to run 87 but recommends that 89 should be used as stated our Ram manuals. I even questioned the dealership guys about that and they all said it was ok to run the 87 in the 300 Hemis but the Ram needs the 89 so I dunno. I do drive the 300 whenever I see them and there is no engine knock/weirdness. It's a nice car and blast to drive. Easily breaks the rear tires loose at will...Lol

I do tell them to run a tank of 89 now and then (majority is highway miles -retired and travelling) but I'm not completely satisfied with the dealers "87-no problem" confidence with the 300. Maybe they're just guaranteeing that the car will be in for some major engine maintenance early although it has the lifetime warranty so it doesn't make sense.

Tim

Old 08-28-2009, 03:46 PM
regert
Professional

Here we go again, now my truck needs a engine Had it at the dealer a few time to look in to what i thought might be a lifter noise and they are telling me it's in the bottom end, they have changed the oil and added some special dodge "noise be gone" which isn't working only making it louded. When the engine is warm sounds like a diesel. Waiting to hear from the dealer to see what they plan to do fix it or new engine. Thank god my truck is still under warranty unlike my buddy that just bought a engine from a wreckers.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck my Canadian buddy, hope all works out for you up there in the Great White North!

Old 08-28-2009, 07:04 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just think, the money saved on gas probably just about covers the hazardous material disposal fee.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:52 AM
regert
Professional

Sorry haven't updated in a while, but I have some good news.
The dealer ended up putting in a timing chain set and my noise was gone for about 800km and then it came back, I was almost out of warranty so I called the dealer back and told them they need to do something and a few weeks later and calling every other day I got a new bottom end, it is in the truck and she sounds the way it should be quiet, all I hear is the belt turning and my exhaust lol. I also treated my girl to a complete detailing to go with the new engine so it feels like a new ride again.

Thanks everyome for your input on this topic, I guess a good dealer and some comunication and some thing can work out for some people.

Thanks Jeremie

Old 12-04-2009, 11:34 AM
regert
Professional

Oh ya almost forgot to add that since warranty is over, time for cold air intake from home depot, programer and boarded throttle body.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:26 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

what's a "boarded" throttle body?

Old 12-04-2009, 12:35 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
what's a "boarded" throttle body?
Maybe "bored"?

Old 12-04-2009, 12:39 PM
2006NightRunner
Rookie

What went wrong with the bottom end of the engine? Did it spin a bearing and start knocking?

Quick Reply: are Hemi's junk????????