3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

are Hemi's junk????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:08 PM
regert
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are Hemi's junk????????

Here we go....I have a buddy that has a 05 Ram Hemi and the number one piston melted, truck has 109,000km on it not miles and the dealer wont help him out. My buddy has heard of a couple other guy's having the same problem are there any other guy's out there with this issue???

I had a post on here a month ago asking for info on his engine missing and when he took it to the dealer he bought it from they told him it had a plugged Cat which was under warranty and needed a tune up for $400.00 which they did and it still has a miss. They found it was number one cly so they scoped it and you can see that the top of the piston is missing where the first ring would sit, all peices would be in the Cat I'm guessing thats why it's plugged. My buddy has tryed to get them to cover something but they said no. A hemi engine with low km's range from 1500-2000.00cnd plus install and any other parts, oils filter ect... My buddy is working odd hours as he works in the automotive buisness and we all know how thats going plus he still is paying for his truck. It pisses me off that the dealer wont even help him out his truck is stock nothing done to it.

As for my truck 04 ram Hemi, it started to make some noises the other day it's going to my dealer at the begining of next week to get looked at, I dont need to be putting a engine in it.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:16 PM
08DodgeTRX
Professional

I believe that some of the earlier Hemi's had a problem with the top oil ring being far to close to the top of the pistion, which was causing some of them to break the top ring free, esentially destroying the motor. But i though it was being handled by the dealers. I would suggest he call another dealer, or try to get Dodge involved.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:17 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems hit or miss really, and i think way more hit than miss. the vast majority of hemi's have a great reputation for great reliability. as always though, there is a few rotten apples in the barrel.

your friend needs to find a new dealer!

Old 07-08-2009, 04:35 PM
regert
Professional

I've told him to go to another dealer. I work at a auto wreckers in Ontario Canada and the only Hemi's I sell are to those who have run there engine's out of oil. I've been asking what the problem is with there's so i know what might be going on with them. I've heard nothing on my buddies issue yet. Mine Hemi sounds like a couple rockers are slapping not sure if it's common or not.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:38 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like someone ran too low of octane fuel. They recommend 89 octane in the owners manual and it seems to have been damaged by detonation.
They are usually a very reliable engine.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:38 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

what is 109k equal in miles? He should have a 7/70 powertrain warranty.

and I gotta agree with LX on his view. The people I've seen with cylinder damage almost always were running 87 octane fuel exclusively...

Old 07-08-2009, 05:17 PM
regert
Professional

he is 9,000km out of warranty, his warranty was 5/100. I think he runs 87oct. and so do I. Gas up here is .93/L and I get 450KM/tank, 89oct is $1.05/L and 91oct. is $1.09/L

Old 07-08-2009, 05:28 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea so you ran a lesser fuel to save a few cents?? and look what happens a major problem. thats why they tell u to run 89

Old 07-08-2009, 05:38 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by regert
he is 9,000km out of warranty, his warranty was 5/100. I think he runs 87oct. and so do I. Gas up here is .93/L and I get 450KM/tank, 89oct is $1.05/L and 91oct. is $1.09/L
That's a pretty big gap between 87 and 89...like $10 a tank. If you know for a fact that you're not getting knock retard using 87 oct than 87 is fine...but you'll have to data log to do that. Do you know someone with a tuner? If not i'd use 89 without hesitation.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:35 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 08DodgeTRX
I believe that some of the earlier Hemi's had a problem with the top oil ring being far to close to the top of the pistion, which was causing some of them to break the top ring free, esentially destroying the motor.
As stated before it's from low grade fuel. But heres some info regarding what you are speaking of.
Generally, the engine has been designed for lighter weight. The new Hemi is precision cast, which allows it to be lighter than a typical 5.7 liter engine, even with a taller deck height than Chevy's; and, partly to counter the inertia of its relatively long stroke, the pistons were made light as well, using cast eutectic alloy. The slipper-style piston has much in common with racing pistons, with a weight of 413 grams. For longevity, the Hemi pistons use a hard anodize on the top ring land, to act as a heat barrier and anti-micro weld mix, and to allow the top ring to be only 3 mm from the top of the piston, cutting emissions while bringing more power. As with the old 426 Hemi, the rings are also relatively thin. Also in common with racing engines is a reservoir groove undeneath the top ring, to reduce the pressure between the top and second ring.

Quick Reply: are Hemi's junk????????