3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough ridin Ram

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Spinter 7x
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough ridin Ram

I bought a new 08 1500 shortbed regular cab 2 months ago,and it is a rough riding sucker! I am considering going to a tire with more sidewall to see if it would help,and wondered if someone else had made the change I am thinking of. It has 265/70/17 tires on it now,and I am mulling over going to a 32/11.50/15 setup on it if you can get 15 inch wheels to fit it.The street tires it came with aren't gonna do much off road and need to come off before winter anyway.Would this help the ride,or is there a better way to go?

Old 07-09-2009, 01:42 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say put some nice Blistens 5100 shocks on it. Not sure if 15s will fit on the truck, but I'd keep the 17s and just put on some heavy A/T or M/T tires.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:04 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Bilsteins will help out alot. For tires, I have heard a lot of good things about the cooper zeon ltz giving people a better ride even on 20's. The other thing to remember is that its a rcsb which automatically makes it ride a little rougher because of the shorter wheel base. I test drove both the quadcab and reg. cab stock before I bought mine, and the quadcab had a much better ride than the regcab did because of the longer wheel base.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Spinter 7x

Still dont see why in this day and age they couldn't make them ride better.To show you how bad it is,you know those stone absorbers you put in you cup holders to soak up moisture,I have them and they are bouncing up all the time on the hiway.I had a 90 Ford 4x4 shortbed years ago that rode like a limo compared to my Dodge.This thing may shake itself apart.If anyone has tried the smaller diameter wheels and larger sidewall combo,I would like to hear how it worked out.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:42 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

A larger sidewall on your tires will help out a little, but new shocks are your best bet on what's going to significantly improve the ride.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:16 PM
VP64
Captain

the regular cab i have has a stiff n bumpy ride when going overr bumps especially speed bumps. i used to have the oem 20s withthose huge *** tires they come with. then i got some low pros with bigger rims. all around the whole wheel it self was smaller then the oem and made for a smoother ride. its still bumpy but softer and the worse feeling is going over a speed bump sideways or at and angle. u know what i mean. lol motion sickness

are u sure ur wheels ar aligned and ur air pressure right. the first time i filled in my tires from 32psi to 42psi on my low pro tires made the ride quality worse. i can feel the and hear the truck driving over every rock on the road

Last edited by VP64; 07-09-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

I think 17" is the minimum wheel that will fit because of the brakes,you also have to consider the unsprung weight of a bigger tire it may not help as much as you think. Shocks as mentioned would help alot more.My truck used to have OEM 20's and it didn't ride too bad on those but mines longer than yours,lol

Old 07-09-2009, 05:50 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

VP64 that makes absolutely no sense that your ride got better with larger rims and loprofile tires, not calling you a liar or any thing, it just doesn't make sense... The thicker the sidewall the more cushion you get, the thinner the sidewall the rougher it gets. You sure you didnt get some better quality shocks in there as well???

Mine rides relatively smooth now, I have a 275/55/r20 street tire filled to 40psi (max is 50psi, any higher and th tread wears in the center to fast, any lower and my mileage suffers and the tread wears on the sides to fast) and bilstein shocks, its not car quality smooth, but its MUCH better than stock

Last edited by truckin151; 07-09-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

Truckin151 why are you driving on the sidewalk? Your ride quality would be much better on the road. lol

Old 07-09-2009, 06:06 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Spinter 7x
I bought a new 08 1500 shortbed regular cab 2 months ago,and it is a rough riding sucker! I am considering going to a tire with more sidewall to see if it would help,and wondered if someone else had made the change I am thinking of. It has 265/70/17 tires on it now,and I am mulling over going to a 32/11.50/15 setup on it if you can get 15 inch wheels to fit it.The street tires it came with aren't gonna do much off road and need to come off before winter anyway.Would this help the ride,or is there a better way to go?
I feel for you man...if I wanted the ride of a unloaded 3500 dually I would've bought one. The shorter wheelbase, like mentioned earlier, and the same spring rate as the quad cabs might be to blame. The QC rental I had rode like a caddy...shoulda woulda coulda. It's nice to see it's not just mine though

Quick Reply: Rough ridin Ram