3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I Found Something Else I Could Paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:53 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm i would see if you could trade the woodgrain for just a silver one and then paint that. idk about painting over the woodgrain...

Old 07-11-2009, 10:11 PM
06 Ram5.7
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I wasn’t sure if you could or not. But I forgot that I still have my old non-nav bezel, which has the woodgrain. I figure I can try on that, and if it works I can do it to the one in my truck. And if it doesn't, at least I didn't ruin the nav bezel, and then I can try to get one without the woodgrain. Well, I guess now I have a project for next weekend.

Last edited by 06 Ram5.7; 07-11-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:04 PM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

Originally Posted by 06 Ram5.7
Yeah, I wasn’t sure if you could or not. But I forgot that I still have my old non-nav bezel, which has the woodgrain. I figure I can try on that, and if it works I can do it to the one in my truck. And if it doesn't, at least I didn't ruin the nav bezel, and then I can try to get one without the woodgrain. Well, I guess now I have a project for next weekend.
Yeah with the woodgrain, if it plastic, you should be able to, that is what my arm rest, badge and dash are made out of in my balt, the woodgrain surface is similar to my badges on the outside of my car, I just lightly sanded and primed it, use satin finish black krylon and clear coat. Worked like a charm... Came out REAL nice... my photos are in my Cobalt Album on here...

I been in an 06 with the woodgrain and a 07 without, so yeah it should, I would just make sure that you take care and watch your drips if you work.

If you do, get some pics up

Old 07-11-2009, 11:14 PM
06 Ram5.7
Veteran

Originally Posted by RodeoRamCowgirl
Yeah with the woodgrain, if it plastic, you should be able to, that is what my arm rest, badge and dash are made out of in my balt, the woodgrain surface is similar to my badges on the outside of my car, I just lightly sanded and primed it, use satin finish black krylon and clear coat. Worked like a charm... Came out REAL nice... my photos are in my Cobalt Album on here...

I been in an 06 with the woodgrain and a 07 without, so yeah it should, I would just make sure that you take care and watch your drips if you work.

If you do, get some pics up
I’m going to have to wait until Friday, but hopefully it works. I’ve had to truck for three years, and I just think that the woodgrain is out of place. But, if it does work, I am going to paint the two patches of woodgrain on my door panels, too. I’m thinking about painting the door pieces silver to match the dash bezel. And the woodgrain part of the dash bezel black, and leave the silver part alone, so I guess it will look like a backwards SRT bezel. But I will post some pics if am able to do it.

Last edited by 06 Ram5.7; 07-11-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:50 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you weren't so far away, I would take the non Nav. woodgrain bezel off of your hands.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:42 AM
'95Dakota
Professional

im thinkin of doin mine white. I took it off and did it a "Charcoal Pearl" But it dont look much different.

Im polishing my shifter rod and it looks pretty badass, ill post some pics later

Old 07-12-2009, 04:01 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

Silver that looks great!

Make sure to use adhesion promoter and you should be fine, depending on the paint you have you may want to use self-etching primer after the adhesion promoter. Personally I think painting both bezels black along with the bezel around the shifter would look sick!

Old 07-12-2009, 08:23 AM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

I’m going to have to wait until Friday, but hopefully it works. I’ve had to truck for three years, and I just think that the woodgrain is out of place. But, if it does work, I am going to paint the two patches of woodgrain on my door panels, too. I’m thinking about painting the door pieces silver to match the dash bezel. And the woodgrain part of the dash bezel black, and leave the silver part alone, so I guess it will look like a backwards SRT bezel. But I will post some pics if am able to do it.
I think that it would look awesome! The silver on mine started wearing/chipping away and I really didnt like the appearance, so as bear said, NEVER leave your self alone with a bottle of spray paint... You tend to find your things painted... LOL

Im going back to bed now... I am sicker than anything... and my daughter the same.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
Whats the DIY gonna be? "pull off radio bezel, spray it, let it dry, put it back on". haha there are some things I dont think are worthy of DIY writeups...
LOL, he makes a good point .

Came out looking really good silver.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:30 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
LOL, he makes a good point .

Came out looking really good silver.
thanks teach and lol yea i know it may not be the hardest thing to do but i made one for it haha

Quick Reply: I Found Something Else I Could Paint