3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to determine if truck hase been tuned?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009 | 11:03 PM
joeylead
|
Rookie
Default How to determine if truck hase been tuned?

OK so this is a newbie question i realize, but I am new to having a dodge. I have been a Toyota guy my whole life and just recently bought my first ram. This is a great forum with a wealth of knowledge and I have learned much about my truck. I just bought it about 4 months ago and love it!!! Anyway, it has a CAI and cat back exhaust. i have been reading a lot about tuners and octane. I had been running my truck on 87 octane, but after reading the information here, i switched to 89 this morning. But it did lead me to question if the truck is tuned for something specific. I bought it from a ford dealer (big mistake) so I know nothing about the truck besides what I can see. So my question is basically besides resetting the ecu and seeing of the truck runs differently, is there any way to determine if the truck has been tuned by a PO? I do plan to get a tuner int he future, but I need to spend money on a few repairs first (like an incorrectly set up r&p).

The truck is a 2003 5.7 quad cab 4X4 with 74,000 miles. I am planning doing a tuneup and other routine stuff once I get some of the current bugs worked out. But the truck ruins like a champ, the power is great. Gas mileage is about 12 and my best was about 14.5 and that is with a cap (of course the overhead tells me I am getting 17-20mpg on the highway!!)

Old 07-13-2009 | 11:06 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

the truck is tuned from the factory with the factory "89 tune" if it had a tune it would have been set to back to stock and you wouldnt have know one was on there

Old 07-14-2009 | 12:25 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

You'll find out if the factory tune is in there if and when you try to put a canned tune in...it's more than likely the stock tune still.

Old 07-14-2009 | 09:06 AM
joeylead
|
Rookie

Thats along what i was thinking, that most likely the truck still has the stock tune, which is why I switched to 89 octane. What I didnt want to do was be in the situation where the engine was optimized for something else and end up doing more harm than good with the 89.

Old 07-14-2009 | 09:47 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

It's not very common (or likely) for people to leave a tune on the truck when they sell it. That would be throwing away money, as they could set the truck to stock and sell the tuner for cash.

Old 07-14-2009 | 01:22 PM
dunerider650
Veteran

the dealer can tell you...i know at ford(where i work) even if they reset the comp back to stock there is still a code in the computer...as soon as u mod ur tune it throws a code that sticks with the computer for life...

Old 07-14-2009 | 01:45 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Maybe on a ford, but not on a dodge.

Old 07-14-2009 | 01:47 PM
dunerider650
Veteran

no? you know that for sure?? nobody thought you could on a ford either its a little secret

Quick Reply: How to determine if truck hase been tuned?