3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: Which route did you/will you take???
Power and performance First/Leave visual mods stock (or close to it)
28.07%
Visual mods First/Leave Performance Stock
7.02%
A little of both here and there
64.91%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Appearance vs Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:55 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would do a lil bit of both. I would get a new hood and bumper cover

Old 07-17-2009, 04:24 AM
VP64
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

appearance first for me. i dont want my truck lookin like the guys next to me. im more creative in what i do so it is like art. plus u dont have to have a big budget and u can do it install alot of the things yourself without having to worry about your car breaking down because u didnt fit something under the hood correctly.

till i get more bank its gunna be appearance. plus when i think of performace i picture driving fast n furious. lol. and in a truck that would equall bad mileage. and the automatic doesnt help either. but anyways dual exhaust is pretty sweet especially the big slash cut chrome tips.hmmm

Old 07-17-2009, 07:51 AM
TheFist
Veteran

I go performance. Looks mean nothing to me.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 AM
dynamos2000

Looks - not just cause its a v6 but its kinda like when people fix up cruiser motorcycles, you are making a slow bike a faster slow bike LOL

Old 07-17-2009, 11:18 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Pirata
Power & performance is not really a fair vote. Say you put a winch on for the performance IE, can lift your truck off the ground. Is this performance or is it also bling because it does make the truck look better. Shoes are in the same category. I could keep street tires on my trick but I opted for offf road tirs as I take mine off the beaten path on a regular basis. It looks good but it was done for performance.
Its a perfectly fair vote. Look at it this way do you use your winch or did you buy it just to look at it? Do you use your tires to actually go offroading or did you get them just to look good sitting in the driveway and never take it down any dirt roads?

If you buy a product (tires, winch, lift, ect.) and use it for what its intended purpose is then its a performance mod, if you bought it just because it would look cool on the truck and not use it for its intended purpose its a visual mod.

It be like the guys you see rolling around with the lifts and tires that raise there truck a few feet into the air and dont have a spec of dust on them. You know that if they were to take it out offroad it would just tip over, it serves no purpose but for looks.

Yes some mods can be considered both, but if your main reason behind getting it is for the visual affect its a visual mod, if your main reason was to better the performance then its a performance mod.

As for the rest of the voting, This is not what I should do, Im going the performance rout, this is what you guys did when you first started modding your trucks, if the very first thing you put on was to help better the look or style of your ram then you went the visual rout first, if the first thing you put on was something to better the performance of your ram then you went the performance rout first, and if you put on something to better the performance and look of the truck at the same time then you went the in between rout (a little of both).

Old 07-18-2009, 11:30 PM
VP64
Captain

i like keeping a clean ride and respect others who drive around in clean rides also. when i use to drive 7 days a week i washed my truck like every 3 days atleast since owning it. well anyways seeing it clean so often, when i go to the snow or lake outatown then wake up the next day and its all dirty i started seeing some people with trucks dont keep their rides clean.
so i kept it looking dirty and dusty a couple days. the end

Old 07-20-2009, 10:36 PM
gohan10x

BOTH at the same time. Tires will improve in every category over the stockers. Exhaust will improve performance (if done correctly) and looks better! A lift looks great on Ram's and if your going to use it, then well worth the cash. And last but not least... Everyone here knows that adding a stripe makes it go faster

Old 07-20-2009, 11:25 PM
SinCity R/T
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Ram will most likely stay 100% stock performance-wise. I have already experienced a huge warranty nightmare with the a-holes at Chrysler over aftermarket mods with a previous truck I bought new, I'm not going to give them a chance to screw me again. I installed some nice looking 22's, some nerf bars, and a Bedrug - I like the way the rest of the truck came from the factory so that's probably as far as I'm going to go.

Of course, having my black truck to play with most likely skews my viewpoint...

Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If money is a issue I say appearance first.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:00 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

never liked the v6 camaro guys that had huge cowl hoods...lol
I like to back my mods up with authority, not some stock wanna be!
Some mix of both but for the most part, i would do Perf. mods anyday before appearance. After all, a hot car is only good while it's ahead of the pack.

Quick Reply: Appearance vs Performance