3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

why is my oil so black

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:25 PM
ctrhenry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is my oil so black

serious, 2008 4.7 its only 3200 miles since the last change and the oil is just black.

is there that much soot and combustion blow by ? or is it all due to running temperature ?

* can you run seafoam in synthetic?

//amsoil remote dual filters just ordered

Old 07-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't be black like that, I just changed my oil (amsoil) after 8k miles and it barely looked dirty. You put the correct type of oil in at the last change? I know it's a dumb question but we all make mistakes. Does it look cloudy or milky? If so you've got coolant in the oil, and a serious engine problem.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 PM
draco8494
Captain

x2 shouldent be that black, my synthetic looks like a deep kinda red when it comes out...but never black, also i wouldent see why you couldent run seafoam in synthetic

Old 07-17-2009, 12:04 AM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you buy your fuel? I have noticed since I switched from the base gasoline (supplied by Flying J) to Conoco, my oil's color has actually improved. Before, it would get pretty dark with only a couple thousand miles, and I run AMSOIL. Conoco also gives me better mileage.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:58 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

mine comes out black. 6-8k interval, amsoil, royal purple (did have a purple tinge), castrol synthetic...all black

Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Like Draco My oil,RP, comes out a dark reddish color. I don't think it would hurt anything to run some Seafoam through your engine and get it good and clean.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:27 AM
2005cobrakiller
Captain

Originally Posted by ctrhenry
serious, 2008 4.7 its only 3200 miles since the last change and the oil is just black.

is there that much soot and combustion blow by ? or is it all due to running temperature ?

* can you run seafoam in synthetic?

//amsoil remote dual filters just ordered
81,000 miles I think I have now... Every time I change my oil its black like black paint! I change mine every 2500 or so and I use castrol full synthetic 5w 20.... But I also run the dog shi* out of my truck constantly and love every second of it...
I have used that pruple stuff to it was black at 2500.... but my truck runs like a champ that way I think it just enjoys oil... every 5000 I run cleaners and what not through my motor so ... anyway good luck....

Old 07-17-2009, 11:39 AM
rovman
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you changed it 3200 miles ago and it was not that dark the last time you may have reason to be suspect. However, you would have to say that you put in the same oil, same filter. Part of the oil's job is to capture and remove carbon buildup in the engine which occurs from the fuel burning. Different oil brands, from my experience, seem to "discolor" a bit different --- I suppose from the additive/detergent packages and how the suspend or capture carbon particles. One thing that seems to crud things up more than most is a lot of idling time. By the way, I would consider 3200 miles sufficient to darken up oil regardless of brand ... it doesn't mean the oil is necessarily ineffective, just dirty.

rovman

Old 07-17-2009, 12:58 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Black means you don't change your oil enough. End of story.
I would take off your filter and put a new cheapo on there. Then pour in either qt of Marvel Mystery oil or Seafoam. marvel needs more time to de-sludge(few hundred miles but i prefer over seafoam which is a pure petroleum base...kinda like pouring water in the engine). Seafoam, drive a few miles or let isle for 10 minutes and then drain your oil. This will clean out your engine.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:05 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
seafoam which is a pure petroleum base...kinda like pouring water in the engine)
how would that be like pouring water in your engine? petroleum is fuel. its what gasoline and dyno oil are made from.

Quick Reply: why is my oil so black