3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC issues?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:27 AM
bullisland
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy AC issues?!?!?!?!

So one night...park my truck and everythings working perfectly. next day drive my beater truck into work and go to switch trucks after work to head to the girls house and....my AC will only work on HIGH. Works perfectly fine on high, blows cold, blows strong...but get NOTHING at all, not even the orange light above the AC button on the first 3 settings?!?!

So i'm thinking something with the switch but figure I could get some better input on here...

Thanks fellas...

Old 07-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the rotary switch is bad.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:09 PM
bullisland

that was my thought too. Hoping to figure it out this weekend but was wondering if anyone had this problem before.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Lol I just noticed the same problem last night when I was sitting in line at the drive through at Taco bell and it was raining. I usually always just have my windows down, but I had the air on cuz they were taking forever, and it just didn't work at all unless it was on the highest setting.

Let me know if you figure it out man, cuz I had no idea what would cause that.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:24 PM
abarmby
Champion

There is a muti-connector at the back of the rotary switch printed circuit board.
Check to make sure all the plugs are in tight.
Al.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:35 AM
bullisland

I take it I have to remove the dash to get to this circuit board? Or is there an easier way? Haven't removed the dash before so dunno who hard/easy it is yet...guess i'll be finding out!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:37 AM
bullisland

Originally Posted by Ice-Forever
Lol I just noticed the same problem last night when I was sitting in line at the drive through at Taco bell and it was raining. I usually always just have my windows down, but I had the air on cuz they were taking forever, and it just didn't work at all unless it was on the highest setting.

Let me know if you figure it out man, cuz I had no idea what would cause that.
will do

Old 08-20-2009, 01:30 PM
bullisland

anyone know what the part is called exactly? The piece that is attached to the dash and that the **** slides onto. I tried searching rotary switch, rotary ****, ac switch, etc etc etc and couldn't find it to save my life...

Thanks.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

It used to be that if your fan only worked on high it was the resistor pack. These were always known for going bad. It's usally stuck into the heater core box somewhere on the passenger side. I would look there first. I've had to replace them numerous times. Never really tried to see if it affected the A/C but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Spokane_Dodge
Rookie

Originally Posted by Last of the 5.9s
It used to be that if your fan only worked on high it was the resistor pack. These were always known for going bad. It's usally stuck into the heater core box somewhere on the passenger side. I would look there first. I've had to replace them numerous times. Never really tried to see if it affected the A/C but I don't see why it wouldn't.
+ a million

Had my blower resistor go out a month or so ago. You only get the AC on high. It is very simple to pull out and replace. Pull the plug, undo two screws, pull it out.

If you have a pull and save junkyard near by you can get the part for about 20 bucks. 60 or more new.

Quick Reply: AC issues?!?!?!?!