3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Finished my 26gal to 35gal fuel tank swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:15 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Finished my 26gal to 35gal fuel tank swap

Thats right boys and girls, I said I was going to do it and I did it. I bought a 35gal tank from Vecoplan as he was parting out his PW. Well I got it in and wasnt going to do te swap until weekend after next but decided to go out there and look at what all was involved and it didnt look so bad. So two hours later I had my old one down and my new one up.

Since this has long been a debate of what will match up and what wont, I decided to go through with it and clear everything up. I took some pics of the tanks side by side so you all can see where the difference is at. The pump is the same and doesnt need to be changed out a new one bought. All the fuel lines are all in the same places. The rear strap was the same but the front was a different one so Im glad Matt sent them to me. Oh yeah, to get the tank down you will obviously need to run it down as much as possilble and support its weight with a jack. The nuts holding it up there are 15mm and it will have to be a deep well but even that isnt long enough at first. So you will need a 15mm wrench to back the nut down 1/4" or so and then finish it with the ratchet. All off the lines you need to disconnect from the tank have clips you need to push in with needle nose pliars and then pull apart to disconnect.

Here is the link to the pics

http://cid-fb87bd8396fbfbf4.photos.l...%20tank%20swap

Last edited by weedahoe; 03-24-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good deal man, where the extra part of the tank go? Front or rear? does it get in the way of anything else or was there enough room for it already? I thought fillin up 26 gal was bad... cant imagine 35 haha

Old 07-20-2009, 10:35 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

The additional part of the tank goes towards the front of the truck and just behind the rear crossmember. Those pics under the truck would be showing that. No CELs, no changing or rerouting hoses. All PnP.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:57 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
good deal man, where the extra part of the tank go? Front or rear? does it get in the way of anything else or was there enough room for it already? I thought fillin up 26 gal was bad... cant imagine 35 haha

Most places here in NY were capped at $75. Only recently just before the gas prices started to drop is when they started removing the $75 caps because it would cost most cars right about that leaving the trucks to be only 3/4 full and some 1/2 full....Weed...lol..... i used 2 different cards when i needed to fill the tank right up. I know they put a cap on because people were driving off w/out paying. using the two diff card trick works good.
Hey, weed. You sure don't look like you were there to get dirty with those shoes and pants rolled up like that...lol
What was the reason to go to a larger tank> Do you travel to where you would need to not stop as frequent?

Old 07-21-2009, 12:12 AM
RubberFrog
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bitchin

Old 07-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

this is sweet!!! a couple of us have talked about it. I really could use a 35 gal tank. now i just gotta find one and ill be on my way. so the fuel gauge reading question is answered as it reads correctly now? does the overhead pc acknowledge the extra amount of fuel?

Old 07-21-2009, 12:39 AM
trinity03
Rookie

wow, that's great!! thanks for the share!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 02:57 AM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

Originally Posted by Redone4x4
this is sweet!!! a couple of us have talked about it. I really could use a 35 gal tank. now i just gotta find one and ill be on my way. so the fuel gauge reading question is answered as it reads correctly now? does the overhead pc acknowledge the extra amount of fuel?
I'm also curious about this. Did the overhead and the fuel gauge need any time to adapt or did were they accurate as soon as you filled up?

Old 07-21-2009, 03:20 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Most places here in NY were capped at $75. Only recently just before the gas prices started to drop is when they started removing the $75 caps because it would cost most cars right about that leaving the trucks to be only 3/4 full and some 1/2 full....Weed...lol..... i used 2 different cards when i needed to fill the tank right up. I know they put a cap on because people were driving off w/out paying. using the two diff card trick works good.
Hey, weed. You sure don't look like you were there to get dirty with those shoes and pants rolled up like that...lol
What was the reason to go to a larger tank> Do you travel to where you would need to not stop as frequent?
Yeah they were doing that down here too with capping the cards. My pants legs were rolled up because they kept getting under the wheels on my creeper. I went to larger tank for no more reason than because I just wanted to. I try not to take my truck out of town much because of the gas consumption. We usually take her Mini Cooper that gets 35+ mpgs and yeah I miss my truck because it doesnt have the power but then it costs so much less to fill her 12gal tank up.

IDK about the OH reading the DTE yet as I havent filled the tank yet. I will let you guys know.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:32 PM
toxdoc
Veteran
Thumbs up

Sounds like he did a great job; I think everything should work fine with the plug-n-play. My Laramie came with the factory installed 34 gallon tank and I see no difference with his installation or hook-up.

Quick Reply: Finished my 26gal to 35gal fuel tank swap