3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Competition with dad!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you return the intake? How long have you had it?

Old 07-22-2009, 08:56 PM
mxculture
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it has only been in my truck for 2 days. What I like about the filter is unlike the K&N which is on a sideangle and the box which is sits in is kind of blocking the air from the front and really only sucks in air from on top...the aFe is has a 90degree bend in the pipe after it goes through the box and is completely open and pointed towards the front of the vehicle...pointed right towards the air coming in from the front. I really hope they make a pipe for it. Taking it all out would be a big hassle.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran

If manufacturers publish dyno figures and charts, you gotta believe them, or else it's false advertising. we have laws for stuff like that up here, and you probably do too. my cai dyno sheets say it's the same with or without the hat (i think airaid is the same too). the evolution says it makes more hp, but the gauge pod is cool anyway.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Bertens
Professional

500 bucks???? return it n get a BFI!

Old 07-22-2009, 11:45 PM
OklaHemi
Champion

afe has 2 vesions a stage 1 and a stage 2 high breather( i think for off road vehicles.) i had an afe that went straight to the throttle body all the way to behind the passenger head light. call them on the phone for faster results and swap it shouldn't be a problem. my dad tried to compete with me and he finally gave up and asked me to start modding his truck for him. sucka

Old 07-22-2009, 11:47 PM
OklaHemi
Champion

do you have pics of how you are installing it? maybe you have one of the tubes backwards. if i remember right both pieces of the afe have 90's. start by taking off the hemi hat and the factory air box, the whole thing. none of that should be in there for the install. i wish i still had my afe i think i would like it better than the air raid

Last edited by OklaHemi; 07-22-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:48 PM
OklaHemi
Champion

do you have pics of how you are installing it? maybe you have one of the tubes backwards. if i remember

Old 07-23-2009, 12:17 AM
rcman0056
Professional

Just get an e-cutout. Then look over at your father when he cant even hear the radio in his own truck anymore. The e-cutout will give you the best gain for the money when matched with a new air filter.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:24 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

If you have the Afe high breather, dont ditch it, thats the same one I have only I modified it slightly to remove the hemi hat. It has the biggest filter available, overall size of the filter and tube (after being modified) puts the bfi to shame...

The borla catback is a nice setup, I have one on mine as well. Personally though I'd ditch the idea and get a cutout installed, I have ran it on the dyno both through the catback and through the cutout and got higher rwhp with the cutout open vs closed. Plus the sound is just sick.... when you want it to be, all other times you can close it with a push of a button and its back to your quiet stock setup or whatever other muffler you choose. Only downside though is you may end up shooting yourself in the foot as you may loose some low end from lack of back pressure from the cutout.

Programmer wise, Superchips is a good tuner, Diablo is a good tuner. I have used both with great results from each. Personally I like the diablo a bit more because of the extra performance gains and mpg I got from it plus the added features it has over the Superchips. I have never tried out the edge programmer so I couldn't tell you what to expect from it.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:26 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

The most bang for your buck on a budget would be a used tuner, used e-fan out of a 3.8 taurus and controller, electric cutout and 4.10 or 4.56 gears. If you budget wisely and do the work yourself you should be around $1000.

Quick Reply: Competition with dad!