3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Competition with dad!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:40 PM
mxculture
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Competition with dad!

hey guys, i just baught my 07 1500 hemi quadcab and my old man has the same truck, mines a laramie and he has a sport, same year, same size same everything but the inside. He has a K&N CAI, the top ranked one/Magnaflow single catback exhaust/Superchip Cortex programmer/AirAid TBS. I just recently installed an aFe stage 2 CAI because it showed 30% more gains than the top K&N. Me and my dad are now in a competition to see whos truck can go the fastest. I want to install the same type of hardware...but id like mine to give you more HP. Is there a programmer/chip with more gains than the SUPERCHIP CORTEX? Is there any catback exhausts with more gains than the magnaflow single? is there any throttle body spacers with more gains than the Air-Aid? Even if its just a few hp. What are other little things I can buy to make my truck faster? I just want to see the look on his face when my truck smokes his!!! haha!! Thanks guy. any input will be greatly appreciated. Have a good one!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:54 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I guess the first question I have is how much $$$ are you wanting to put into your truck to beat your dads?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:08 PM
mxculture

well...im still looking to buy the little stuff like he has to make it faster. Exhaust I know I can easily go buy a borla...but will it actually give me more HP or just a better sound? TBS, programmers and the exhaust or my main concerns right now...hes got all that..but when i buy mine i want it to gain more hp from them than the ones he baught. After I buy that stuff..just would like to know other little stuff I can do thats under 1000$ that can make it faster. I just got the truck so Im doing the little stuff first. My main concern is to have more gains in power and torque than him from buying the same type or hardware...but different companies know what i mean. Example: he baught a K&N CAI...I baught a aFe Stage 2 cuz it had more power gain. Any feedback is appreciated. thanks

Old 07-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Bertens
Professional

Buy the exhaust, a magna flow Y pipe (its 25 bucks), get the superchips cortex or 3865. Don't tell him about the new trans options that superchips is comming out with, then download them when they come out. Put the throttle body spacer in the bed of your truck for traction that is all it is good for.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:31 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first off, ditch the idea of a throttle body spacer. its just a $100 paper weight. the only gains it will give you is an annoying whining sound. secondly, there are tons of threads that answer your questions at the top of this page. its the 3rd gen ram faqs. it is full of polls, and everyones opinions on all different brands of parts.

for your exhaust, for performance, you want to look for a strait through design. like magnaflow, aero turbine, cherry bombs, glasspacks, etc.. maybe even replacing the stock Y pipe might free up a few more hp. you dont necessarily need a whole new catback system. you could get away a lot cheaper for same performance with just replacing your muffler, and taking out the resonators. you wont see too many differences out there between air intakes. choose one you think looks nice, and make sure it eliminates the restrictive "hemi hat" as for tuners, the most popular ones out right now are the superchips cortex/flashpaq, and the diablosport predator. personally, i like the predator, but theres plenty of other guys out there that like the superchips better.

those are your main 3 mods for power gains. once you are ready to start getting more into it you could get an electric fan, headers, gears, dyno tuning, etc.. just keep searching around, this place has more than enough information to help you make the right decisions, and smoke your dads truck.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:43 PM
mxculture

Thanks man. You had said "make sure it eliminates the restrictive hemi hat"...im pretty ticked that it doesnt. My aFe actually goes into it where my dads eliminates it completely. I would like to find a way to eliminate it...maybe they make a kit or it can be a nice DIY. Do you know where I can find a kit to eliminate the hemi hat? Reading up on a new chip that just came out..its called the "Edge Evolution"..its said to add 35HP and 70 foot pounds of torque.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mxculture
Thanks man. You had said "make sure it eliminates the restrictive hemi hat"...im pretty ticked that it doesnt. My aFe actually goes into it where my dads eliminates it completely. I would like to find a way to eliminate it...maybe they make a kit or it can be a nice DIY. Do you know where I can find a kit to eliminate the hemi hat? Reading up on a new chip that just came out..its called the "Edge Evolution"..its said to add 35HP and 70 foot pounds of torque.
What year is your truck? The edge only works on the 07's.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:07 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

haha first mistake is believing what the manufacturers say. truth be told, its all marketing. if you want more power, stick to the basics. more air = more power. lose the hemi hat and a walmart filter will get you decent gains. its not the filter, its the hemi hat that is so restricting. exhaust, magnaflow is about as good as it gets performance wise.

as mentioned before, the diablo sport predator or flashpaq 3865 are your best bets for tuners.

if you really wanna smoke him, put in some 4.56's. it'll cost you about $800/axle (front and rear for 4x4, just rear for 2x4) but you'll see incredible acceleration gains.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:33 PM
mxculture

My truck is a 2007 and im gonna search around to see which tuner (Diablo sport, evolotion edge or the superchip), does the best..but I will probably go with the diablo sport because its different than my old mans. I just emailed AFE about a tube that will go directly to my throttle body. For the price I paid for the "Stage 2" intake (500$ CAD)..I must say Im pretty disapointed that a 350$CAD K&N has a tube that at least goes directly to the throttle body. Its a cold air intake...big filter pointed right at the fenderwelll duct and the tubing is pretty big...but it just pisses me off that it boots into the hemi hat air box. They must make SOMETHING to eliminate this...cuz if not i think im going to be returning i...thats bull**** for the ammount i paid....especially with the dealer boasting it was the "BEST" Cold air intake i could buy.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:36 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

i wonder why they said it was the best... it couldnt have been the price difference lol

Quick Reply: Competition with dad!