3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with diffs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 04:02 PM
hifiwest
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with diffs.

I'm at 193000Km (120 000miles) and I understand I need to replace my diff fluids, and transfer case fluid. Anyone know of a good tutorial for this? I assume it's not too difficult...

Old 07-23-2009, 05:06 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

man honestly, put a drain pan under it and pull the covers. Clean it out as good as you can, lay a bead of black oil resistant permatex, rebolt the covers and replace the fluids. IDK how much a trans pan change is as I replaced all 17qrts in mine but there are many threads on this. Alos, what type rear diff so you have? This will tell us and you if you need LSD additive or not.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:23 PM
hifiwest

Not sure, meant to ask that in the op. Can I tell from the VIN or should I just post a pic of the housing on here?

Now when you say permatex you mean the gasket sealing stuff right? Should I replace the gaskets while I'm in there?

Last edited by hifiwest; 07-23-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:41 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by hifiwest
Not sure, meant to ask that in the op. Can I tell from the VIN or should I just post a pic of the housing on here?

Now when you say permatex you mean the gasket sealing stuff right? Should I replace the gaskets while I'm in there?
You can do a VIN check or look at the sticker in the glove box. Also, there are no gaskets from the manufature on either the trans pan nor the rear diff. And yes Permatex is gasket making stuff.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:57 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by weedahoe
man honestly, put a drain pan under it and pull the covers. Clean it out as good as you can, lay a bead of black oil resistant permatex, rebolt the covers and replace the fluids. IDK how much a trans pan change is as I replaced all 17qrts in mine but there are many threads on this. Alos, what type rear diff so you have? This will tell us and you if you need LSD additive or not.
If I remember right it took me 7 or 8 qts to do a pan drop and change the filters on my tranny. As far as the rear diff goes, if you use a synthetic gear oil, most of the brands out today already have the LSD additive in them like RP and I think Mobile 1.If its in there it'll be on the bottle. Sorry to disagree with ya Weed but IMO you should use High Temp RTV sealant on the rear diff cover and the trans pan.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:01 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I use this RTV sealant. it sets up fast and you can tighten the bolts down right away and fill instantly. No need to let the RTV "cure". The stuff is expensive, but it goes aloooong way and it's superb stuff. http://www.jegs.com/i/Permatex/775/25229/10002/-1

Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 PM
hifiwest

Okay so from what I can gather:

For Diff's and Transfer Case:

-loosen bolts and break seal
-take case off (diffs only) and thoroughly clean out with brake cleaner
-lay new gasket and close up
-fill up to filling hole with atf 4
-drive around a bit and then top off with more atf 4

That's pretty much it? Am I missing anything?

Is replacing the filters on this transmission easy? I've only ever done a little Nissan fwd tranny before so this is a big change for me.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:52 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

what are you filling up with atf4? should be only the tranny. you need gear lube for the differentials, 75-90w for the front, and 75-140w on the rear if i recall from memory. too tired to look it up right now. spend the extra bucks and get good synthetic, Amsoil, RP, Mobil1, etc.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:03 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by Redone4x4
what are you filling up with atf4? should be only the tranny. you need gear lube for the differentials, 75-90w for the front, and 75-140w on the rear if i recall from memory. too tired to look it up right now. spend the extra bucks and get good synthetic, Amsoil, RP, Mobil1, etc.
You must not be TOO old because your memory is correct and I agree with running synthetic. It doesnt cost that mich being you only need 3-4 qrts for the rear.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:07 PM
hifiwest

I went to Napa, partsource and Canadian Tire today and nobody had 80w140 (or similar) oil in a synthetic (I don't touch non-synthetic)! So then I decided to do the transmission and transfer case, but noone had the transmission filter kit!

Man...

Hey does my tranny have a twist-on filter AND an internal, or just an internal? I have the 15 bolt pattern one...

Hey redone, don't I put ATF 4 in the transfer case??

Quick Reply: Help with diffs.