3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Financing FINALLY through!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Menace2Authority
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Financing FINALLY through!

Well, after 10 business days and several phone calls to my financing company (the final call ended in me telling them to get ****'d) I was finally approved for my truck by a bank. Last november I bought a 2005 Chrysler 300 Touring. Within 3 hours I was approved and signing paperwork with $0 down and 13.9% interest. Now.... I decided to trade the car in and get a quad cab.... Financing company's first response was $7500 down and 14.9%..... and the battle begun..... Funny thing is... when I bought the car 8 mths ago I had NOTHING on my credit report. No credit cards or anything at all. Now... all I have is this car payment which I've made every 2 weeks without skipping a beat.... and the SAME FINANCE COMPANY I'm already dealing with on the car wants those kinds of terms.

Anyway... Ended up going through a bank and getting the financing at 8.79% and was able to tell the original company where to go... how to get there... and good riddance.

So I've been on the Dakota Forums here a bit and poked my head around here in the 3rd gen section.... now it's time for some serious questions.

1.) Tires.... I want to go with a 33" tire. However, it seems there are very few 33" tires for 70R17 profile. Should I go with a different rim than stock?

2.) If I put a leveling kit on the truck I will have to add "helpers" to the rear end so that when my snowmobile is in the back the rear don't sit lower than the front. The truck is a 2006 Ram1500 Quad cab short box with the TRX4 package and the Hemi. What exactly should I be looking for as far as "helpers" go? ( I know WHAT helper springs are... not sure on which ones I should be looking for)

3.) I've read all kinds of horror stories about the "Death wobble" with these trucks. Is this something that I'm going to have problems with which will be worsened by larger tires and a front end leveling kit?

4.) Audio. I have a 1200 watt amp and 2 800 watt 10" subs that I want to build in under the rear seat. Will this truck need any upgrades to alternator, battery, or power/ground cables to do this? (My assumption would be no seeings the truck comes stock with 7 Pin trailer harness plug I would assume it can handle an amp)

5.) I've noticed 2nd gen Rams' rusting out all over the damn place.... Any rust prone areas on these trucks that I should deal with BEFORE the rust becomes evident?

That's all for now..... I'll ask more I'm sure on Tuesday when I get the truck.

Last edited by Menace2Authority; 07-25-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:24 AM
ramhunter9
Banned
Old 07-25-2009, 09:34 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

1) That's because you are looking at metric sizes, look at standard sizes and you'll see hundreds of tires. 33"x11.5" will go good on the stock rims, anything wider than 11.5" and you'll want an aftermarket wheel with better backspacing.

2) Screw helper springs, air bags are the way to go.

3) Seems to be an issue on the '06+ coil over front ends that the '02-'05 torsion bar fronts don't experience. Most have lifts and/or levels and never have a problem, but a good many do. No way of telling for sure if it will or won't be an issue.

4) Have not done an audio system like that in about 15 years, so I'll defer that one to the younger guys.

5) I've not seen any widespread rusting issues, but it's never a bad idea to have a truck undercoated...

Old 07-25-2009, 09:53 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

battery is fine may want to upgrade to good battery if it still has stock one in it because it will **** out soon anyway.....alot of guys on here are using foxbox as a subbox i used a premade mdf box i bought local for at an audioshop for $75 out the door so i skipped the making of one but if you look on craigslist you might find a fiberglass one someone is selling thats the way to go imo.....

Old 07-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Menace2Authority

Thanks for the great answers.
And..... as far as fiberglass speaker box goes..... I probably have about $5000 worth of Kevlar on a large roll in the basement that I bought from an old marina that went out of business. Maybe I'll do some research on fiberglass and acoustics as I could build a box myself out of fiberglass no problem as long as I know proper thickness etc.

33 x 11.5 - That's a HUGE help, as you are right. I see lots of tires listed with similar measurements but didn't know that 11.5 was the size I was looking for. Thank you very much.

I'll post some pictures when I get the truck and I've had a chance to do some custom paint work on it.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:57 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

As for the big amp, I would just recommend a capacitor in the main amp power wire to keep the voltage steady. It is easier on the alternator/voltage regulator too.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:02 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

welcome. you shouldn't need a cap for that. my buddy is running 2 Alpine type-r 1ohm in his ram and he has no problem. use bigger wires to power your amp and ground. and make your ground as short as possible

Quick Reply: Financing FINALLY through!