3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lowered Trucks: tech and info....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jusjay727
those caltracs look nice ...shoulda thrown some red p.c on em before the install but its more a function over form...still i bet they ride smooth...
I like the Caltracs, no binding that I can tell. I don't have the patients to wait for PC'n. I'm trying to get the basic build completed quickly. But getting held up waiting on parts. The truck will be on hold for a week while I do a job out of town. Maybe the parts I've ordered will catch up. lol

Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

right when you get done take a real nice pic and email it to me ill do ya up a graphic...hi res(5+ mp) tho no cell pics please ....

Old 04-07-2010, 09:01 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

right when you get done take a real nice pic and email it to me ill do ya up a graphic...hi res(5+ mp) tho no cell pics please ....
Thanks, I'll take you up on that offer. I'm thinking of going with the R/T Charger theme with a flat black hood and panels painted on the fenders. I really don't know how it'll look. But we will see..

Old 04-07-2010, 09:03 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

if its what i think it is itll look good different than the run of the mill ram but good....

Old 04-07-2010, 10:33 PM
blackmamba13
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...yes you can get 2" drop shackles from mcgaughy's and they will be the most of 2" drop youll get unless you can find slammed1 shackles which are harder than finding gold....those are true 2" now i haul stuff around in my truck with the o/l leaf delete i just have to be carefull how much and ive put quite a bit in there....so its really up to you on what you haul....
Thanks for the welcome. OK maybe I'll have to consider this O/L delete...I'm looking at the service manual and it doesn't look too bad with regard to removing the multileaf spring system. That being said is the O/L spring the bottom leaf (looks like there are 4 leafs in the diagram...its too dark outside right now but I'll check mine 2morrow)? Also can I just loosen the spring clamp bolts and slide the O/L out (while supporting the axl of course)? Or do I have to remove the whole multileaf system out first? Apologies for my novice questions but I have never attempted suspension work before. I can't sit here and say I haul around thousands of lbs but I do use my ride as a truck so if I can do so reasonably w/o the O/L spring then cool.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Desert_Ram
Veteran

anybody have any info on the mcgaughys 2/4.5 drop with the coils not the spindles? cant seem to find any pros or cons ?

Old 04-08-2010, 12:56 AM
rbeard79
Amateur

Ok...so I just paid the guy for the kit so it is for sure coming....I do have one more question. Should I use the shock extenders, or go ahead and get a set of Belltech Nitro Drop shocks? I had these on my old ram with my hotchkis kit, and loved them. How does this kit ride with the stockers and the extenders? Hopefully will get it in next week sometime, and need to know if I should order shocks and just do it all at once. Thanks for the help guys!!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:14 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by rbeard79
Ok...so I just paid the guy for the kit so it is for sure coming....I do have one more question. Should I use the shock extenders, or go ahead and get a set of Belltech Nitro Drop shocks? I had these on my old ram with my hotchkis kit, and loved them. How does this kit ride with the stockers and the extenders? Hopefully will get it in next week sometime, and need to know if I should order shocks and just do it all at once. Thanks for the help guys!!
Red, If you are using spindles in the front. Stock shock are used. Flip rear you need to use extenders or order shorter shocks. I used this chart to determine the lenght I wanted and bought mine from a local auto store.
http://www.monroe.com/catalog/docume...engthSheet.pdf

I measured the distance between the axle and the bump stops (a). And the distance from the shock lower mounting eye and the upper mount at normal ride hieght (b). Then subtract (a) from (b). This told me the minimum compressed lenght. Then take (b) and add on reasonable suspension travel, maybe 5 inches. That'll give you minimum overall lenght. Go to the chart select mounting style and pick out a shock that fits your needs. Or you might get by using the extenders. Good luck...

Old 04-08-2010, 01:45 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

blkmamba...if you haul more than 1k lbs id leave it in....the most i haul around is some lumber from depot or lowes and maybe some sod or my quad....i have had it squat and it bothered me so i re worked my load and drove it took it fine id hate for you to do the work and be like damn i need to haul this cause it does limit chit...but in a way i like it cause then everyone still asks for me to haul stuff and i say i cant...plain and simple....but the work is not hard to get the o/l out it is the bottom one and you do have to drop the rear axle down about 8 inches and no you dont have to take the whole leaf kit out just take the bolt out and pry it off....and reassemble it all...not that hard at all the first one youll be a lil scared or worried but the next will take half the time....

Old 04-08-2010, 02:27 PM
blackmamba13
Professional

blkmamba...if you haul more than 1k lbs id leave it in....the most i haul around is some lumber from depot or lowes and maybe some sod or my quad....i have had it squat and it bothered me so i re worked my load and drove it took it fine id hate for you to do the work and be like damn i need to haul this cause it does limit chit...but in a way i like it cause then everyone still asks for me to haul stuff and i say i cant...plain and simple....but the work is not hard to get the o/l out it is the bottom one and you do have to drop the rear axle down about 8 inches and no you dont have to take the whole leaf kit out just take the bolt out and pry it off....and reassemble it all...not that hard at all the first one youll be a lil scared or worried but the next will take half the time....

Thnx jusjay...well I don't see myself hauling around anything more than that, generally quite less. Just wanted to be sure I had some reasonable overhead in case. Yeah I saw the bolt when I looked closer at the service manual and am relieved that the O/L can be removed without extracting the entire leaf kit. Seems like I can bang out the O/L delete and shackle swap in one go...came close to thinking I was gonna have to lift the nose to get a decent level that would work for me but really didn't want to since I didn't want to risk any xtra stress to front components. I plan on running this truck into the grave and much to my wifes dismay take too good a care of her (little jealosy or lack of understanding LOL). Guess I'll order the shackles soon and in the meantime crawl under there and see what all tools I'll be needing.

Quick Reply: Lowered Trucks: tech and info....