3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lowered Trucks: tech and info....

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:59 AM
TR Custom Parts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I did the swap to the drop shackles and now have a pronounced vibration. Mostly at light throttle in all gears. Looks like the pinion angle changed enough to do this? Didn't check pinion angle before I did the swap. Have 1 degree up at the pinion and 4 degrees down at the trans. Ended up swapping back to the stockers last night and now back to normal. Truck had a very slight vibration before the swap but not really that noticeable.

With everything back to normal pinion angle is at 3 degrees up. Going to get some pinion shims and try again. Sad thing is, my truck only dropped about 1" with the McGauhy's 2" drop shackles! Nothing was tightened up until truck was back on the ground.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:47 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they would still need to settle, drive it and hit a few bumps like drive over speed tables, not fast or hard just enough to lets the back know it needs settling....my rear was fine no chatter and i went with removing my o/l leaf too....been like that for a while....

Old 10-20-2010, 09:47 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by TR Custom Parts
Well I did the swap to the drop shackles and now have a pronounced vibration. Mostly at light throttle in all gears. Looks like the pinion angle changed enough to do this? Didn't check pinion angle before I did the swap. Have 1 degree up at the pinion and 4 degrees down at the trans. Ended up swapping back to the stockers last night and now back to normal. Truck had a very slight vibration before the swap but not really that noticeable.

With everything back to normal pinion angle is at 3 degrees up. Going to get some pinion shims and try again. Sad thing is, my truck only dropped about 1" with the McGauhy's 2" drop shackles! Nothing was tightened up until truck was back on the ground.
TR,
How are you getting so much pinion angle change with only a small drop? Something doesn't sound right. Are your "U" bolts tight? I haven't had any pinion angle issues and haven't heard anyone talking about having problems. I ran drop shackle for about 5 years and a flip kit since last year. I would check to see if something was moving that shouldn't. Good luck..

Old 11-02-2010, 07:10 PM
scbaker09
Smile 2" drop shackles, like the trucks stance much better!

Hello everyone! This is my newbie/first post. I have a 2007 ram 1500. Truck is completely stock besides exhaust upgrade and now has been lowered. Just completed drop shackle swap from stock to Mcgaughys 2" drop shackles. It was only 2 inches but i can tell the difference! Love the new stance that it gave the truck. Im interested in any other minor changes i can make to either the body or suspension to give it a meaner sleeker look!!!! will post pics if anyone is interested

Old 11-03-2010, 01:30 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Pictures are always good. Dropping is very addictive. Start shopping for a complete kit....

Old 11-06-2010, 11:24 PM
04BlackRam

BTW, my vibration turned out to be a bad u joint. DOH. Truck is smooth as glass now. Going to try putting the drop shackles back on tomorrow. Will take pics of the pinion angle before and after I do the swap. Everything looks good on the suspension, nothing looks out of place, worn or broken.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Good luck and post some pictures.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:00 PM
TXhemi5.7
Rookie

Hey guys whats up!! Hey i got a question. Have any of yal had to replace to repair your "U" joint? Even since about a month ago my rear end started to howl as i put my foot on the gas and as i cruise down the road in "N" i can hear it until i stop. I just replaced my diff. Fluid thinking it might be low but that was not it and it only does it when im i drive. Any thoughts?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:18 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

howling might mean the actually gears...

Old 11-15-2010, 12:22 AM
TXhemi5.7
Rookie

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
howling might mean the actually gears...
Lol im hoping not. They only do it while i am in drive or cruising in neutral. I can sit there and barely put my foot on the gas right before the engine revs in drive and i can hear it. So i was thinking it was the u joing

Quick Reply: Lowered Trucks: tech and info....