3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help me break the CODE !

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shinna202
bump, is there a diy guide to changing the o2 sensor on these rams?
did a quick search but they all came with no pics.

Find proper sized wrench, spray penetrating lube on O2 sensor, proceed to beat with said wrench.

Seriously though, it just takes a wrench. The o2 sensor is just screwed into a weld-in bung. It's also plug and play. Follow the wires back to the connector and unplug it.

I've never looked where the O2's are on these trucks, but if it's a bad downstream O2, that's a tell tale sign the cat is bad.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:31 AM
shinna202
Amateur

thanks for the answer.
but how do i figure out which one is the first one in the bank one?
the one on the passenger side or driver?

Old 07-31-2009, 07:39 AM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional

thanks for the answer.
but how do i figure out which one is the first one in the bank one?
the one on the passenger side or driver?

Like I said, I've never taken notice of how the O2's are setup on these trucks. Bank one is almost always the drivers side, unless Dodge did something different.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:34 PM
shinna202
Amateur

Originally Posted by Rebeltilldeath3
Like I said, I've never taken notice of how the O2's are setup on these trucks. Bank one is almost always the drivers side, unless Dodge did something different.
yes im aware but the truck has 2 o2 sensors on each end on bank one.
one on drivers side and on passenger, but i need first one on bank 1.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:48 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bank 1 should be drivers side and sensor 1 would before the cat while sensor 2 is after the cat.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:41 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Bank 1 is the driver side on a Dodge. Sensor 1 is the one between the cat and the engine. sensor 2 is after the cat.
You can use a 7/8" wrench or the special O2 socket if you want. The socket is a deepwell 7/8" socket with a slot cut up the side for the wires to clear.

Your original post said that the O2 behind the cat is bad.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:58 AM
shinna202
Amateur

yay
got it changed, hopefully the CEl goes off. thanks for all the help.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:01 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

thanks for replying everyone.
im going to start off with the o2 sensor since its cheaper and easier one, and if it still throws the code i will change the cat. Now however because of this code, can the trucks idle be off when first started? my trucks idle goes up and down and up and down by itself when first started, however after driving its gone. Its only when first started after sitting long time.
Replace/clean your IAC (idle air control) valve....it's on the throttle body. Your o2's are bypassed when in open loop (cold engine) so it's not them. I'm sure your throttle body could use a good cleaning also.
bump up.
I also went and bought me a new o2 sensor, how to i change them out? i need the first one in the first bank.

thanks.
yay
got it changed, hopefully the CEl goes off. thanks for all the help.
It won't...you changed the wrong one. You should have changed the driver side o2 after the cat...the o2 before the cat deals with the a/f ratio while the o2 after the cat measures cat efficiency. Actually what you should've done is replace the cat but yea..

If your 02 ram has less than 8 years or 80,000 miles theres a federal emissions warranty someone mentioned earlier. I'm guessing you're over the miles though.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:57 PM
shinna202
Amateur

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Replace/clean your IAC (idle air control) valve....it's on the throttle body. Your o2's are bypassed when in open loop (cold engine) so it's not them. I'm sure your throttle body could use a good cleaning also.

It won't...you changed the wrong one. You should have changed the driver side o2 after the cat...the o2 before the cat deals with the a/f ratio while the o2 after the cat measures cat efficiency. Actually what you should've done is replace the cat but yea..

If your 02 ram has less than 8 years or 80,000 miles theres a federal emissions warranty someone mentioned earlier. I'm guessing you're over the miles though.
i was happy for a bit, till you cam along.
Is there a pic of the IAC valve? im not too good with knowing parts without pics. Also my truck has 65k on it so i could qualify for that, but i need more info on it. So would i have to replace the cat, or can i get by changing the o2 sensors? will the code never go away then?

Old 08-04-2009, 02:37 AM
shinna202
Amateur

i replaced the idle control valve with a brand new one but its still doing the same thing. whats the real problem then?

Quick Reply: Help me break the CODE !