3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant Loss, Missfire on Cylinder One, Big Problems Ahead?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Tazman40
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the first thing i would do to calm my mind is a compression test on cylinder no 1.If it holds compression than i know its a spark problem throwing the code.then i would hunt down the coolant loss isue.If its a head gasket or bad cylinder the test will let ya know.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:08 AM
scottiedog

Hey guys,

Thanks again for all the feedback, I appreciate it. So I drove around the town a few times, checked the coolant level and sure enough, half an inch was gone. I threw a piece of cardboard under the engine and straight away started to hear a dripping noise....so I guess I am getting close. I looked at the back firewall and could see a small inch hose sticking out of the passenger side, quite a bit of fluid was dripping out of there. Its dark and I could not tell it was the coolant, but I did listen in the cab and I could hear what sounds like water somewhere behind the dash. So....I think this is pointing to an issue with the heater core? Any idea's what that little inch hose is behind the firewall?

Thanks again!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:34 AM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually your windshield will fog up when the heater core is gone and you'll smell coolant in the cab or even see it dripping on the floor.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:38 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chambers
Usually your windshield will fog up when the heater core is gone and you'll smell coolant in the cab or even see it dripping on the floor.
On the floor in a puddle if its too bad.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:46 AM
goathog02

Just smell the exhaust. If it is burning coolant, you should smell it.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:16 PM
scottiedog

Tried smelling the exhaust, didn't get too close for obvious reasons! It smelt fine, didn't smell coolant. Going to make some time to drain the oil today & do a compression test, however.....

I just looked under the oil fill cap and its milky milky under there...sooo....groan...looking like HG failure? Anyone have any idea's on the cost of this repair? $2k? Should I get both HG's done if one has already failed?

Thanks again guys

Old 07-29-2009, 03:15 PM
froto'sride
Professional

Originally Posted by scottiedog
Tried smelling the exhaust, didn't get too close for obvious reasons! It smelt fine, didn't smell coolant. Going to make some time to drain the oil today & do a compression test, however.....

I just looked under the oil fill cap and its milky milky under there...sooo....groan...looking like HG failure? Anyone have any idea's on the cost of this repair? $2k? Should I get both HG's done if one has already failed?

Thanks again guys
Don't worry about that it is normal. that's not a symptom of your problem. I quarentee that any 4.l7 and maybe a lot of hemi owners who actually pay attention to their trucks have the same thing. Screw the repair if you want to pay someone do it your self and learn a little. it's not that hard. Do a compression test like Taz recommended it will give you a starting point and possibly rule the engine out completely.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Originally Posted by froto'sride
Don't worry about that it is normal. that's not a symptom of your problem. I quarentee that any 4.l7 and maybe a lot of hemi owners who actually pay attention to their trucks have the same thing. Screw the repair if you want to pay someone do it your self and learn a little. it's not that hard. Do a compression test like Taz recommended it will give you a starting point and possibly rule the engine out completely.
Uh, every single person on here told me to check for this to see if it was a blown head gasket when I had my last truck. Surely they are not all mistaken.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:11 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

In some engines, not sure which ones or which years, but condensation can build up under the fill cap (?) and cause the milky look to it. So just checking under the fill cap is not a good way to tell if you have coolant or water in your system. You need to drain it to tell for sure.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:49 PM
froto'sride
Professional

Originally Posted by truckin151
In some engines, not sure which ones or which years, but condensation can build up under the fill cap (?) and cause the milky look to it. So just checking under the fill cap is not a good way to tell if you have coolant or water in your system. You need to drain it to tell for sure.
Thanks for the back up....besides I think they all said check your oil, ie, drain it.

Quick Reply: Coolant Loss, Missfire on Cylinder One, Big Problems Ahead?