3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Need Help! engine dies while idling after jump start

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:27 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would SUCK!!!! Better get cowchicks cat to live under your parked cars!!

Old 07-29-2009, 08:37 PM
VP64
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is actually a procedure to storing a vehicle. one of them involved placing the vehicle on a high platform such as layers of boards.

the creepiest thing that happened to me was when i stored my truck on the side of my house inside a gate for about 2 months and then i went to drive it, i got in and buckled up and everythiing, i look in my rear view and i see a spider hanging down on it. but the spider wasnt big so it wasnt that big of a deal. The End

Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 PM
hemipower05
Professional

ya id check the battery and definately change all the fluids.... but how can u let such a nice car jus sit in your backyard?!? FOR A YEAR!!! I CANT STAY OUTTA MINE!!! i put over 20,000 miles on mine in a year!!! lol!!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Even with fuel stabilizer a year is very long...i'm going with bad gas like the other guys. And is you didn't put any stabilizer in it's def bad gas. Drain the tank.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

I had a mechanic at the Chrysler garage tell me this about my Jeep. I would jump it and it would die, I push started it and it died, I checked alternator output with my multi meter and it was good. I was at my end and I called the local dealer service dept. the guy told me to get a new battery put it in and keep the Idle up with the gas pedal and drive it for about a half hour,he said don't bother bringing it in because you'll get halfway to the dealer and it will be running fine. He said the fuel system needs to re-learn what it should be doing after you've had a dead battery. Sure enough I drove around the block about 6 times and it started running better and better the longer I drove around,30,000 miles later the Jeep is still running like a top.

Other possibilities could be a bad throttle position sensor,or alternator.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:27 PM
cmherrmann

Had it happen to my 2000 Ram twice, bad battery and the computer needs to reset. Just run it at a fast idle for about 15 minutes or go for a drive where you do not need to stop and it will be fine.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:08 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
But wouldnt that mean he alternator is bad?
No, the alternator was fine, just my neg terminal on the battery had come loose enough that the batt wouldn't charge correctly. I shut it off, a few days later went to start it, click click. The one and only time that truck has ever let me down. When I started troubleshooting, the first place I go is to make sure the terminals are tight for a good connection. Lo and behold, neg terminal loose. Tighten it up, but still need a jump, but then all good after that.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:49 PM
bolang
Professional

Yawn.....Any other boring stories.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

And you replied why???

Quick Reply: Need Help! engine dies while idling after jump start