3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hella's install but no light

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Galaxy1966
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hella's install but no light

This is actually my first thread, and I've done the search for all the wiring and comon hella wiring problems. I'm pretty sure everything is wired correctly. I didn't hook up the green wire to the switch though, I was under the impression that it's there more as a bypass for the switch if you want them to come on with other lights. Not sure if that's what i'm missing but my wiring is as follows:

Lights- Blue- grounded to frame on both
Black- connected to black wire on relay
Red- connected to the post by fuse/relay box in engine bay with inline fuse
Blue- grounded to stock ground in engine bay
Yellow- to switch inside cab
Black- to black wires on lights

Blue on switch- grounded to metal dash mount

I'm pretty sure all my grounds are in good locations, not sure if i have a bad relay or if it's the lack of the green wire that's the problem. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Markmm0000
Professional

I cut the relay right out of the wiring when I put myne in. It's alot easier to get a good switch that can handle the power and wire it up the simple way.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Galaxy1966
Amateur

Yea I've read threads of cutting out the relay and, wiring it straight up...I also read threads warning against it. I was just going to play it safe and keep the relay, if I can ever get it to work. I just double checked all the grounds and they should be great but still no light. I'm going to go the the parts store now and look for relay and new switch and see what happens.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:32 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

take that green wire and splice it to the red wire that you attached to the power. or just attach that to the power too. that should do it.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:37 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Galaxy1966
Yea I've read threads of cutting out the relay and, wiring it straight up...I also read threads warning against it. I was just going to play it safe and keep the relay, if I can ever get it to work. I just double checked all the grounds and they should be great but still no light. I'm going to go the the parts store now and look for relay and new switch and see what happens.

The reason you hear people not reccomending it is because the switch that Hella gives cannot handle the amperage of the full load. The relay is what takes the full load and the wire that runs from the switch to the relay is just an ignition wire basically.
If you buy a switch that is rated for 15amps or higher, you will be fine wiring it directly. ideally, you want to play it safe and get a 20amp switch. Hella's switch is a 10amp that will melt in a hurry.
I wanted mine directly because i didn't want to put my headlights on just to be able to turn the hella's on. I wanted the Hella's on their own.
Click on my Sig link and there's a how-to for wiring directly off the switch and how to play the electrical wiring safe if you upgrade to 100/130watt bulbs.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:42 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by dirtydog
The reason you hear people not reccomending it is because the switch that Hella gives cannot handle the amperage of the full load. The relay is what takes the full load and the wire that runs from the switch to the relay is just an ignition wire basically.
If you buy a switch that is rated for 15amps or higher, you will be fine wiring it directly. ideally, you want to play it safe and get a 20amp switch. Hella's switch is a 10amp that will melt in a hurry.
I wanted mine directly because i didn't want to put my headlights on just to be able to turn the hella's on. I wanted the Hella's on their own.
Click on my Sig link and there's a how-to for wiring directly off the switch and how to play the electrical wiring safe if you upgrade to 100/130watt bulbs.

you can do this by wiring the green wire directly to power. no need to dick around with other switches and stuff. do what their instructions say, but put the green wire to power instead of headlight/highbeam.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Galaxy1966
Amateur

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
you can do this by wiring the green wire directly to power. no need to dick around with other switches and stuff. do what their instructions say, but put the green wire to power instead of headlight/highbeam.
Thanks for the help, did what you said with the green wire and it works like a champ.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 AM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

congrads! Now lets see some pics!

Old 08-03-2009, 06:38 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by Galaxy1966
Thanks for the help, did what you said with the green wire and it works like a champ.
no prob. and it's perfectly safe this way too since that wire is also fused, and pulls no more than what's needed to trip that relay.

Quick Reply: Hella's install but no light