3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Running amp wire

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:12 AM
MOTORMODABLE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running amp wire

I'm putting a decent system in my 2004 1500 4.7L reg cab long bed but I dont know how to run the wire from the battery to my amp. If anyone has done this please post some instructions or pics. Thanks

Old 08-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Rebeltilldeath3
Professional

Originally Posted by MOTORMODABLE
I'm putting a decent system in my 2004 1500 4.7L reg cab long bed but I dont know how to run the wire from the battery to my amp. If anyone has done this please post some instructions or pics. Thanks
Find a grommet, pull it through, run it under the carpet.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 AM
hontzy87
Professional

Ok, how i did mine is and how i was instructed by the audio shop is through my plastic clutch plate on the firewall. I drilled a hole there just big enough for the wire to go through it, I then pull all the plastic molding on the driver side floor by the door. I tucked it all nicely in there and ran it to the back. My amp is under my seat so it was perfect. What ever you do, don't run it through your door jamb. If the power wire get's pinched, your gunna blow somthing. If you want pics, I'll run out to my truck and take a few...

Old 08-05-2009, 01:39 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed. I ran mine through the firewall (DO NOT drill through it without making sure you are drilling through something important) behind the drivers kick panel, under the drivers front and rear door sills and behind the backseat where my amps are mounted.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:48 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a plastic oval shaped piece screwed to the firewall. I took that piece off and drilled a hole through it big enough for a grommet that is made for your power wire. Run the wire through it and screw it back on. Then you can run right under the carpet and along the floor molding pieces and kick panels. Those all pop off you have to pull with some effort. You won't break them.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:33 PM
MOTORMODABLE

I got how to run it after its in the cab but I don't understand how to get it in. I don't know what the firewall is and also what the grommets are that you guys are talking about. If you would hontzy87, take some pictures of the firewall and the clutch plate. A pic of a grommet would help to. Really appreciate it guys.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Jarrod904
Veteran

just look under the steering wheel man you cant miss it.. its a circle rubber plug..

Old 08-05-2009, 03:11 PM
VP64
Captain

ya i didnt know what a firewall (in a car) and a gromet were either when i first heard those terms.

but its really easy running the power wire from the battery inside the cab especially werking on a truck because u have all that space under the hood. i got so many wires running through that plastic cover on the firewall its not even funny. my truck is covered up right now but i'll probably get bored and might take some pictures too

Old 08-05-2009, 09:39 PM
MOTORMODABLE

VP64, get bored man I need some pics. Actually my cus thinks he might know what to do but pics would def. help. He helped me wire my stereo today and even with stock speakers its blastin. But seriously, is the firewall the dash material in front of your knees when you're driving or behind that? I'm still confused

Old 08-05-2009, 09:51 PM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

Follow the hood release cable to the firewall on the firewall there is a
grommet made of soft black rubber that is easily stretched. Punch a small
hole with a screw. The rubber is easy to stretch I fit 4 guage through it.
The seal is tight and the wire when run under the carpet is nearly invisible.

Quick Reply: Running amp wire