3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge 2500 steering problem and death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 01:49 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rickashea
I had same problem , spent money on new tires, shocks, bushings, rods ends and then complete front end busings and stuff nothing worked finially after the wreck I told them to fix it or burn it, it hurt me bad broke my back several places, they told me frame too small for that truck and stiffened the frame now better. scew dodge they did not care, or do a damn thing to help.

It's a **** poor design and not just the Ram HD trucks either, Ford forums have 10x the posts that Ram forums have regarding the same issue.

The problem isn't the frame size, but rather the positioning of the steering box and the fact that it's not stabilized. The box starts to vibrate against the frame and you get a resonating effect (like a bridge).

A few companies make an inexpensive steering box stabilizer for Dodge, Ford & GM that fixes the issue for most.

And yeah, you're right that Dodge (or Ford) doesn't seem to care. They do not make a kit to fix the issue and thus do not inform the techs on how to remedy the problem, so most dealerships throw YOUR money at the problem and start replacing any and all steering components without every really fixing the problem...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 05-06-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:34 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Thankfuly my front stearing is rock solid, on my last go arround with the dealer on my u jionts, it was sguuested I drop 1200.00 bucks to repalce the stearing half shafts as the dodge tech estamated thiers too much play in the stearing, repair not coverd by warenty.

I said screw it, for a 3/4 ton truck my truck till this day tracks and cornors like a 3/4 ton sports car.

Tires plays a night and day differance, my oem BFG R/T T/a handel like dog meat were as my summer nittos imporove handeling ten fold.

It is verry easy to get the stock rubber out of balance, esp the BFG R/T, tight trend traps rocks and mud and I still manage to get rocks trapped betwean the stock rims and calipers.

Yup Dodges have thier issues but thiers no rocket tech needed in a old school front suspension.
Fast forward to 121,000 km and the right drag link fell off the hub while backing up in my drive way, so nothing good to say with dodge, best repair is to go with aftermarket parts as oem mopar is not equiped with lock nuts or cotter pins, drag link is a compression fit on the bottom and a bolt on the top of the hub

Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 AM
rigokid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2500 dodge

Check tire pressure min 50 max 65......................i fix my likethad...

Old 05-07-2012, 07:49 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Tire psi has nothing to with preventing death wobble or tie rods (drag links) dodge ram 2500 are sub par, guts, glory ram is the truth.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 AM
rigokid
Default death wobble fix

really , i spent $3500 for 6 mont trying to fix the death wobble problem on my truck and at the end it was only the pressure in my tires, no more problems???????????????. to low

Old 05-08-2012, 10:06 AM
pitbull24
Veteran

I know this has been a "highly" discussed subject, but I don't understand how it can affect so many trucks w/out some resolution from the factory/dealership. It doesn't happen to every HD truck, is there some kind of "recipe for disaster" or luck of the draw? I've read stories from bone stock trucks as well as leveled & lifted.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:29 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rigokid
really , i spent $3500 for 6 mont trying to fix the death wobble problem on my truck and at the end it was only the pressure in my tires, no more problems???????????????. to low
In my case tire psi had nothing to do with the drag link falling off, as for death wobble, I have never expirenced it, out of balance or low tires do add stress on the suspension and stearing but death dodge issues can happen with propper inflation

Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 PM
rjj100
Default Dodge Death Wobble not due to tire pressure or steering box stabilizer

My 2500 diesel gets the death wobble regardless of tire pressure. I even bought new top of the line Michelins, and still occasionally get the death wobble.

I do have an after market steering box stabilizer installed, and a new steering stabilizer shock. Still, I occasionally get the death wobble.

Now with about 55K miles.

Never on any of vehicles have I had a death wobble, no matter how old or what type. This is a design defect due to an incompetent mechanical engineer at Dodge who is afraid to speak up.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:59 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

All we can do as dodge owners is put out the word how bad the front stearing and suspension are on thease trucks. Sooner or later dodge Ram 2500 owners who never had issues and feall confidant the Ram brand gives them the warm and fuzzys will be dealing with tie rods (drag links) that fall off the front hubs, or death wobble.

What P me off is the new 4rth gen Rams have the same F up design in front suspension and stearing assemblys, thier is a revised drag link design out thier you get to buy your self from dodge.

Im bitter that that my drag link fell off while backing up and I will curse dodge to my grave for thier selective recall on this issue thats Vin specfic, not event specfic.

Its kinda like Dodge likes negative commnets on thier trucks because a owner with no issues will defend the brand.

If thiers to be a new truck in my future, it sure in the hell is not going to a Dodge.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:21 PM
w1ck3tt
Rookie

I have this issue, and its bone stock. 2008 ram 2500 HD 2 wheel drive hemi, no modifications at all except tow mirrors and side steps. This has done it every since I've owned it (2nd owner) and it has 97k on it today. I've researched and searched and still not finding anything that looks promising. Everyone keeps saying replace the steering stabilizer, which they say is a shock that goes left-right, I don't have one, just the steering rack. Then some say put in a stabilizer brace, but I can't find one for the 2 wheel drive. I'm going to order bilstein shocks to see if that makes a difference.

Can we not petition dodge to look into this?

I called the factory and they said there are no other known reported reports regarding my issue, so it must be just a problem on my truck....

Quick Reply: Dodge 2500 steering problem and death wobble