3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge 2500 steering problem and death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:03 PM
rjj100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge 2500 steering problem and death wobble

I have an 06 Dodge 2500 Cummins with 37K miles. The steering wandered at 65 mph, and got the Death Wobble occasionally when hitting a pot hole at > 50 mph so I took it into my Dodge dealer. I was 5-6 months and 1K too many miles for warranty work. Dealer said $1500 for new steering box and flush (old box he thought had broken gear) and to change over the front end from a Y configuration to a T configuation. I thought it too high $$ so pulled the tie rod off the pitman and ran it back and forth under hand pressure. Could feel some slop when reversing but never felt any broken gear. I checked the worm gear on top (has a locknut and an allen wrench adjustment) and found it loose. I think the locknut was kinda loose too. I replaced the two inner most tie rods (one was on the trackbar and the other connected to the pitman) and adjusted the worm gear to tight and then backed off a tiny bit (15 degrees) and locked it in place while holding the adjustment with the allen wrench. I also added a BD stabilizer and took it in for an alignment with reputable company. Steering seems OK. I don't get the wandering now or Death Wobble and it is fairly tight but takes a bit of pressure to get it moving - more than a passenger car.

The alignment mechanic said my ball joints showed a bit of wear with 1/4 and 1/8 inch. I thought it more like the 1/8 inch on the drivers side when I had checked the lower ball joint with a pry bar. With the front lifted I tried to jiggle the 12 and 6 position and the 9 & 3 position and it seemed solid to me.

Just thought I would share my experiences. Haven't seen anyone else mention the worm gear adjustment. Please share any experience you have and if you think I did the right thing.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:52 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dodge is recalling the Drag link on thease trucks, some 06s are effected, mine was not... I also was starting to expeirence vibrating stearing, Turns out my left front u joint and axle shaft were toast ..

Before a alignment, my tie rods were really lose, the alignment bracket was worn out on the left tie rod, that to was replaced under warenty, I don't understnd how the bracket can wear out ...

Old 08-11-2009, 12:32 AM
pizzo
All Star

I had a my truck checked out before i bought it. They told me that I need to replace the Ball joints. So they put the truck back on the rack and showed me that they are really stupid. My truck didn't need anything they just wanted me to replace them for $460. a bolt was loose on the shock. the shock needed to be replaced its bad. I just yelled at him in front of other customers
I wouldn't think that these people would say all the things wrong with that truck when i checked with them nothing was wrong they just want to stick it to people.
My dodge was recalled for the steering also and nothing was wrong with it
Pizzo

Old 03-21-2011, 09:06 PM
rigokid
Default 2006 dodge ram 2500 death wobble

i got the same problem. A 2006 dodge ram 2500 and have the same problem. i go on the highway at 60 mph, i hit a pot hole, and it starts to shake so bad that i have to stop the truck. im tired of taking the truck to every single mechanic in my area including a dodge dealer. the dodge dealer blamed me for changing the tires and they still cannot find whats the problem. i advise anybody to not buy aodge truck ever again there always known for problems in the front end. im gonna call the bank and tell them to take it.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rigokid
i got the same problem. A 2006 dodge ram 2500 and have the same problem. i go on the highway at 60 mph, i hit a pot hole, and it starts to shake so bad that i have to stop the truck. im tired of taking the truck to every single mechanic in my area including a dodge dealer. the dodge dealer blamed me for changing the tires and they still cannot find whats the problem. i advise anybody to not buy aodge truck ever again there always known for problems in the front end. im gonna call the bank and tell them to take it.

Holy taleetha. Chill out bud.

Sure, solid axle dodges have steering issues... all which can be dealt with. Don't go sell out on your Ram because of it. I guarantee you will only be plagued with other issues from another brand of truck... they all have there own little quirks.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:37 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thankfuly my front stearing is rock solid, on my last go arround with the dealer on my u jionts, it was sguuested I drop 1200.00 bucks to repalce the stearing half shafts as the dodge tech estamated thiers too much play in the stearing, repair not coverd by warenty.

I said screw it, for a 3/4 ton truck my truck till this day tracks and cornors like a 3/4 ton sports car.

Tires plays a night and day differance, my oem BFG R/T T/a handel like dog meat were as my summer nittos imporove handeling ten fold.

It is verry easy to get the stock rubber out of balance, esp the BFG R/T, tight trend traps rocks and mud and I still manage to get rocks trapped betwean the stock rims and calipers.

Yup Dodges have thier issues but thiers no rocket tech needed in a old school front suspension.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:36 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cyclone429
I said screw it, for a 3/4 ton truck my truck till this day tracks and cornors like a 3/4 ton sports car.

Tires plays a night and day differance, my oem BFG R/T T/a handel like dog meat were as my summer nittos imporove handeling ten fold.
LOL, I feel the same way about my truck. I have had a few nice handling cars in my day, and I swear this 3/4 ton truck will put the spank to them when it comes to stopping and cornering.

I cant wait to get rid of these factory BFG Rugged Trails.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:57 PM
overheadmw1

Had 31k on it when i bought it.didn't put it on a highway for 700 miles first time out on a bridge deck woobled. dealer gave me quote for 1400, i fought it and they did it for free. track arm, drag links, tierods, and stabilizer, hasn't done it since. steering box is fine.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Traillblazer

Start with the track bar bushings. Easy swap. Factory ones just plain suck. Have not had the death wobble since

Old 05-06-2012, 12:46 PM
rickashea
Default it caused me to wreck

I had same problem , spent money on new tires, shocks, bushings, rods ends and then complete front end busings and stuff nothing worked finially after the wreck I told them to fix it or burn it, it hurt me bad broke my back several places, they told me frame too small for that truck and stiffened the frame now better. scew dodge they did not care, or do a damn thing to help.

Quick Reply: Dodge 2500 steering problem and death wobble