3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I need a law enforcement perspective ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:19 AM
OklaHemi
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah yes the good ol boys. everyone knows that the majority of cops can have power trips while they themselves break the law. just two days ago my wife seen a cop with his light flashing about a mile back so i watched him to see what he was doing. he got behind an suv that couldnt merge over due to pretty heavy traffic on a 2 lane highway. so the cop rode his *** flashing his headlights for about 1/4 mile then floored it cut the jeep off nearly running him into the car next to him. blew by me like i was parked( i was doing 70), swerved though some more traffic, causing some brake hitting and then turned his lights off and exited to the police station. i guess he was late for shift change. i wanted to follow him into the station and question him but my wife said it probably would have a bad outcome for me.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:49 AM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

I got pulled over and harassed for having black rims.. BLACK RIMS. That's it. I should've parked my truck on that punk's cruiser.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:54 AM
ArkHemi
Professional

Originally Posted by cyclone429
I type better when I'm drunk,
city owned field, gravel acess in, than its all natural grass. I turned arround in the grassy section.
First off, trust me, you do not type better when drunk. Unless english is not your 1st language you have a terrible problem.

Second, what kind of f***ed up laws do you guys have in Canada?

Old 08-13-2009, 04:59 AM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by CreativeOffroad
I got pulled over and harassed for having black rims.. BLACK RIMS. That's it. I should've parked my truck on that punk's cruiser.
I'm from southern california and growing up there I've off the top of my head gotten somewhere around 10-11 "equipment" violations and 5 moving violations, mind you, I deserved a few of those but sometimes they're just D!CKS no matter how polite and co-operative you are with them. I've had to sit on the curb and wait for 45-50 minutes before because three cops were flipping throught the traffic code book on the hood of one of there cars trying to find a reason to ticket me. That was the "Passing within 200ft of an intersection" ticket I never got to fight because I was on deployment by the time of the court date.

But black rims? WTF does that have to do with anything?! Sooo glad I got outta that state.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:56 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If that field did not have "No Tresspassing" or "Keep Out" or no one called to complain about you being on thier property then I dont see where they can do anything about it. Around here if you get into an accident on a road then someone gets faulted for the accident and aticket is issued. But if you get into an accident on private property (I.E. mall parking lot) then no tickets can be issued and only someone gets faulted for the accident.

On a side note, sometime shortly after I had just bought my truck I got pulled over for speeding. I wasnt street racing but I was going fast. Granted I knew I was speeding, but this cop pulls over and jumps out and is yelling at the top of his voice demanding I get out. His tone really bothered me and I was sure if I wanted to get out. Here in GA if you do not feel safe you do not have to get out and can request a second officer or CO out on the scene. Now granted that may not work out for your best interest but it is what it is and you can do that. Anyway, azzhole cop asks if i want him to check his radar and i said sure. So I watch him in my rearview and he goes to his car, takes out a tuning fork and bops it upside his radar and put it in front of it. He does this three times. Now mind you a radar must constantly be calibrated and there must be a record of this showing so. And being I calibrate things at work, we dont go banging things upside the equipment. So I didnt say anything but when we went to court and I explained to the judge how the cop "checked" his radar, the calibration log didnt mean shi!t. It got threw out.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:16 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

All I can say is this....When I was younger I thought all cops were dicks and were being unfair.
Now that I'm a bit older......Most cops i come across are actually very friendly. It all has everything to do with profiling. That's the first thing cops get trained to do. i gotta tell ya.....95% of the time, they are correct in their decisions. i haven't had any tickets in 6 or 7 years.
Few things for here in the U.S.
Lifts are not illegal. Custom wheels are not illegal. Oversize tires are not illegal. Broken speedometer is not illegal, mudflaps are not required on passenger vehicles that are not equip from the factory.
Headlights being too high from lift=illegal. Bumpers being too high from lift=illegal. My stock tires are flush with my fenders stock which is a pretty wide stance, this doesn't mean I need mudflaps. You don't need a speedometer to even pass inspection.

The traffic infraction book is like a Merriam Webster Dictionary. It's that thick. they could write tickets for air pressure being too low/high. A vehicle being too low. Vision obstruction in front or side windshields. Frayed seatbelts. Having open fenders or having no hood. having a blower sticking out of the hood(this reverts back to vision obstruction).... and the list can go on-on-on.
This just gives you an idea of what crap they can ticket you for.

As far as what SuperDak said about the cop needing proof of the violation or telling the DA that they were profiling you. Rubbish. they will laugh at you if you say they were profiling you because...That's the first thing they get trained to do! As far as the cop needing proof. Not for that type of infraction they don't. if all cops needed proof for everything, there wouldn't be any tickets issued unless there were two cops at the same place. It's the same as if you were working at a store and a shop lifter came along. Your boss would take your side over theirs if you said you had seen them put the item in their pocket. Your boss wouldn't demand proof of video of the person stealing before he stopped and confronted them!

The above forementioned is the sole reason I keep my vehicles as normal as possible so i can sorta blend in with everyone else. If you've got a souped up Honda Civic with a fart can, you bet a cop will pull them over before me. That's why i chose 35% tint for the sides instead of 20% tint. Just that one modification will change the way cops look at your vehicle.
My brother-in-law is a local cop. His father is a retired State trooper. Their whole family is friends with all cops so every function that i go to at my sisters house...There are cops everywhere. i hear what they say and how they say it. It helps put lots of things into perspective.

But I do AGREE Rookie Cops are just Dicks. Why? Because they think they are doing good by following the rule book every step of the way. it's not until after a few years they get tired of all the paperwork and begin to sit back and let things pass them by.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:17 AM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Today, I parked my truck in a filed that is not fenced

I have a habbit of matching thier questioning and position of athority with a = reaction, right back at ya..
1. Because the field is not fenced does not give you permission to drive on it, especially where people are!

2. Drop the habit or it will eventually bite you in the a**.

3. I do not know what types of laws there are up there but go back and check if there are No Trespassing or any kinds of signs that prohibit driving on the grass.

4. If you did this in the U.S. I would say you were in the wrong, so go back and check.

Last edited by 02Steve1990; 08-13-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:54 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

I'm with the last two posts.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I found when dealing with the police just talk to them like they are normal people, you can be pissed that you are getting pulled over, you can be pissed about the situation but dont be pissed at them. More than likely you did something to catch their attention not nessesarily something wrong but something they felt needed to be checked out and unless it is something serious or blatantly illegal (DUI, driving down the wrong side of the road, swerving in and out of traffic, going 100+ in a 35mph zone, ect.), just showing a bit of respect can go a long way. They have a really tough job, how many of us wake up to go to work only to be yelled at, bitched at, wined at, shown complete disrespect or even shot at just for doing a job? I'm not saying everytime you get pulled over you need to get down on your knees and kiss their ***, just treat them like a normal person and show them some respect. Talking back and questioning everything the officer was saying is probably what got you the ticket.

That being said, if you are going to fight it, go back to the lot and look around the WHOLE lot for a sign, here they have to be posted every ___ft/yrds and if there is nothing there then go take a few pictures of the area and go fight it. Most of the time though, eventhough it is not posted, there are laws setup for only being able to travel on dirt or well maintained roads/paths/trails where there is already a clear path/road established so check your laws.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:38 AM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by truckin151
how many of us wake up to go to work only to be yelled at, bitched at, wined at, shown complete disrespect or even shot at just for doing a job?
And spit at

Quick Reply: I need a law enforcement perspective ...