3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a-post broke

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009 | 01:53 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Yeah I though it was a little more solid than what it really was before I took the old one off to put a gauge pod in. Its all plastic.

As for their design, you could probably find a piece of pipe that can fit over the backside and weld a washer to one end and then do the same for the inse and make something similar to what they have for a hell of a lot less. May not look as flashy though but if its hidden it really doesn't need to be as flashy as what they have.

Old 08-19-2009 | 01:57 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

They are pricey, no doubt. I've had these in my hand and they are very well done. Unfortunately, the inside/outside of these handles do not correspond to any standard pipe size, so there is no welding on a washer or any of that. It's unfortunate, but this is the only fix out there.

Old 08-19-2009 | 02:05 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Now that sounds like a challenge... Im sure there is something that would fit. What is the outer diameterof that plastic piece?

Old 08-19-2009 | 08:09 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

OMG, i can't believe the price of that kit!!!! That's a joke. This same problem just happened to me a few weeks ago and i solved it for about $3. First I glued the blown-out bottoms of the mounts back in place (to preserve the factory length). Then I went to the hardware store and got a set of pvc 1/2" npt pipe plugs (charlotte pipe) and two m6 x 30 pan head screws and corresponding lockwashers (found out you could prolly get away with m6 x25). I drilled a hole (ever so slightly bigger than the new screws) in the center of flat end of the plug and turned down the outside part till it fit inside the mounts, slip fit if you will. If you don't have a lathe you can, carefully, do this using a mounted belt sander or stationary disk sander. The last step is to just glue them in place. Now the recess in the mounts are not exactly round. This is why I chose to use pipe plugs cause the threads will hold some glue as you slide them down in place. Also, I used PL poly construction adhesive which expands somewhat when it cures (gorilla glue does the same). I waited 24 hours for them to cure up and reinstalled the trim. Feels pretty damn solid. Now I could have made a set of fancy $70 ones, but for $3, some glue, some time and I can hang on it.....I'm happy.

Old 08-19-2009 | 08:14 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

That won't last.

Old 08-19-2009 | 08:16 PM
chefred112
All Star

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Pretty common. I was hunting last year and was climbing into the truck when someone walked up to talk to me, so I swung around to talk and without realizing shifted my weight back away from the truck, putting it all on the grab handle. Snap, it came off and I ended up on my a$$!

So I bought the SRT pillar post with the gauge pod in it. Cost was no more than the standard one. Stuck a lighted temp gauge that matched the stock gauges perfectly (all of $16.95 at Advance Auto) and I now have a tranny temp gauge.

Always make a repair a mod...

Hey bro..how did you wire up your tranny gauge? probe? where physically did you put it?

thanks..fred

Old 08-19-2009 | 08:21 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

06quadram has a good right up on this with pics. The test port on the tranny let's you sample right at the valve body.

Old 08-19-2009 | 08:34 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
That won't last.

well, so far so good. had some pretty hot days and it felt solid when i used it to get in the truck. every day for two weeks now. i figure it's better than spending $50 on another trim that is no better and most definitely better than spending $70. if it fails who cares....it was only $3. when it does fail, then i'll just have to make a set of those $70 ones... nbd.

Old 08-20-2009 | 02:40 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion

mine also broke just like that, i wrapped the broke part real tight with duct tape just like that metal bushing! But I swear I didn't spend $70.00!!! seams like it was ten mins of my time and a dollars worth of duct tape!!

Old 08-20-2009 | 03:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by chefred112
Hey bro..how did you wire up your tranny gauge? probe? where physically did you put it?

thanks..fred
Well, actually it's sitting tie wrapped in the pillar, cool to see how hot it can get in the cab in south Ga and Florida in the sun, in the summer. Although I do have the light hooked up.

I'm not due for a tranny fluid change for another 17k miles and I got Royal Purple in there (NOT CHEAP). Was originally going to drill and tap the pan until I saw how guys were going thru the test port, looks easy and don't have to drain the fluid. Then I kinda had a PML aluminum pan fall into my lap and it's got the boss for the temp sensor. So I'm waiting to get closer to tranny fluid change time and then I'll plug it into the PML...

No hurry I'da not gotten the SRT pillar if the original hadn't broke...

Quick Reply: a-post broke