3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N Cold Air Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 04:11 PM
enash
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Cold Air Intake System

Is a cold air intake difficult to install for a do-it-yourselfer? I am thinking about getting a K&N 77 series for my '04 Ram Hemi.

Old 03-28-2005, 04:37 PM
WingViper
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: K&N Cold Air Intake System

Just put mine on last week. Easy as hell. The hardest part is getting the rubber seal around the airbox on. Might help to have some tin cutters to cut it. Be careful with the Mass Airflow sensor, don't break it. Be prepared for the noise, haha, the HEMI gets a little loud afterwards. Let me know how it works out, I'd like to see what you get (noise and gains-wise). Tools you'll need are wrenches, ratchets, and screwdriver. My console says I'm getting 30 miles more this tank (first tank since the install) we'll see what the math says when I fill up today. OH, one more thing, if you get the chrome, before you fire it up for the first time, wipe the fingerprints off it (the heat from the engine will bake the fingerprints right onto it and it'll look like sh*t.).

Old 03-28-2005, 04:37 PM
ross944
Veteran

its really easy. nothing required other then basic tools. screwdriver for the clamps and i think the filter box pops out. if your not comfortable get a friend to help you but dont waste your money getting it installed, super easy.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:03 PM
enash

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll try it myself.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:42 PM
enash

Ross944 - is the ram air intake you have listed the k&n or a different one?

Old 03-28-2005, 09:21 PM
p2ii

What's the difference between the FIPK intake and a cold-air intake? K&N lists both types.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:23 PM
locked up
Professional

ORIGINAL: enash

Ross944 - is the ram air intake you have listed the k&n or a different one?

Ross I peeked at your site .... that is nice.... I'm guessing the tube is not a K&N part and you ordered the filer seperatly?

Old 03-29-2005, 03:23 PM
enash

WingViper: I saw another post by you were you said "It doesn't really look like its taking air from much of anywhere, unless there's a hole in the fender. The rubber gasket around the top is to "seal" it with the hood". Based on the installation instructions, it appears that way to me too. Now that you have it installed, where is it getting the cold air from?

Old 03-29-2005, 03:48 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

thats exactly what I thought when I was looking at them, might as well put a factory k&n replacement filter in the stock box. Thats why I got an aftermarket tube with a cone filter and basically big *** dryer hose and ran it to below the bumper with a scoop for a ram-air effect... I posted pics in another thread showing this, of course alot of guys were like "scary" what about water, but I rarely drive my truck when it rains, I hate having to wash it and besides I got the Fifth to drive around when its yucky outside and its nearly indestructible in a crash!

Old 03-29-2005, 04:41 PM
WingViper
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rubber gasket seals the hood but f you look at the side of the airbox, it doesn't seal with the side of the fender, so in reality, you're still pulling warm-er air from around the engine compartment, but the less restrictive intake around the filter is where I think most of your gains will come from. If you wanted a true cold air intake, you'd have to find a way to pipe the intake outside or down low. That's all I meant by my other post. I want to try and find a way to make the filter get colder air.

Quick Reply: K&N Cold Air Intake System