3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Resurface, or New Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:32 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Resurface, or New Rotors?

Time for some brake work, pads are getting pretty thin, and the damn cheapy things squeak way too much anyways. they are the autozone specials, not even ceramics. its what came on the truck when i bought it.

so i ordered myself a full set of Hawk LTS pads, they should be here in a couple days. my rotors look to be in pretty darn good shape. need to get them checked by a pro, but i dont think they are warped or grooved too bad.

should i just get em resurfaced, or do you think it would really be necessary to get an all new set? if i go the resurfacing route, itll cost me about $20 per to get em done, but if i buy some regular old oem replacements itll cost me $60 each for the fronts, and $90 each for the rears.

what are your thoughts?

Old 08-31-2009, 01:36 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if they look like theyre in good shape why even mess with them at all. if your gunna drop the cash on new ones spend a lil more and get slotted rotors.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:39 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good point. would anyone see any problems with just resurfacing the ones i have now and installing the new pads, then a little later down the line (few months) when i have the extra cash get some new rotors? (thinking about powerslots) or is it not a good idea to switch out rotors without doing the pads too?

Old 08-31-2009, 01:51 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put the new pads in and forget about it. resurfacing rotors often leads to warping as they thin out, and sometimes get too thin (depending on the shop). if they aint broke, don't try to fix them.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:56 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

My wifes car just got Autozone's best pads. No resurfacing and her car has 50kmi and the rotors aren't grooved up. When they start to shimmy, then I'll replace them. Until then. Pads are all I am willing to do.

heck, my Exploder I bought was sitting for quite asome time and the rotors were all rusted(back one's) I just scuffed them down a bit and have been driving it ever since..lol

Old 08-31-2009, 03:09 PM
hemipower05
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya i think if the rotors arent givin you any grief rite now, then y mess with them? and when they do, get some slotted rotors!

Quick Reply: Resurface, or New Rotors?