3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi vs SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 03:28 AM
RamIt33
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truckin151

You said that:

His Stock Vs Mine Exhaust + CAI + Superchips Tuner + Sticky Tires - Neck and Neck race, He'd win some I'd win some, never by more than half a length either way light to light.

I have all those mods done to my truck right now so wouldent it be a neck and neck race??

O yea by the way guys i found out who drives that SS, he works here at the Hospital with me lol.. I saw this moring when he drove up.
The funny thing is he dont want to race me cuz he thinks my truck would whoop his.

But i think i will race him this labor day weekend Hopefully.

Truckin like i said do you think my truck has a better advantage than the SS does cuz of the elevation level here???

Old 09-03-2009, 02:54 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Bluesmanjesse
Can you tell me the difference between an aftermarket supercharger and a blower????
Blower: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Supercharger: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26um%3D1

blowers tend to pull more air than a standard supercharger therefore causing it to make more horsepower. How does that sound? about right?

They are the same concept, using the same means to build higher horsepower though if that is what you wanted to hear.

Last edited by 98cherryram; 09-03-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:29 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by RamIt33
You said that:

His Stock Vs Mine Exhaust + CAI + Superchips Tuner + Sticky Tires - Neck and Neck race, He'd win some I'd win some, never by more than half a length either way light to light.

I have all those mods done to my truck right now so wouldent it be a neck and neck race??

O yea by the way guys i found out who drives that SS, he works here at the Hospital with me lol.. I saw this moring when he drove up.
The funny thing is he dont want to race me cuz he thinks my truck would whoop his.

But i think i will race him this labor day weekend Hopefully.

Truckin like i said do you think my truck has a better advantage than the SS does cuz of the elevation level here???
The reason why I think you will still lose with those same mods is because of weight, mine is a 2wd RCSB and weighs a lot less than your truck does, and is less than the SS. If you were to take the same two trucks putting the same power to the wheels under the same weather and elevation conditions and add an extra 700lbs or so to one which do you think would win? The lighter vehicle is going to pull away from the heavier one. For the heavier one to win they would need to be able to put more power to the wheels than the lighter one, how much more I could not tell you but it would need more power to get it up and moving faster. The lighter the vehicle the less power it is going to need to get moving.

Also it wouldn't really matter with the elevation since you are both running at the same elevation so that is not a deciding factor. Its not like you are comparing times with yours @ 7000ft and his at 1200ft and at different temps. You both have the same handicaps when it comes down to elevation, weather and temperature so it will all be relative to your area.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:37 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by truckin151
Also it wouldn't really matter with the elevation since you are both running at the same elevation so that is not a deciding factor. Its not like you are comparing times with yours @ 7000ft and his at 1200ft and at different temps. You both have the same handicaps when it comes down to elevation, weather and temperature so it will all be relative to your area.
not entirely true. a boosted (turbo/supercharged) engine has an advantage at higher elevations because it is PSI controlled, meaning they push as much air in until they get to a certain pressure. at higher elevation the handicap that a NA truck has is that it is sucking in volume of air. the blower will just push more volume if the air is less dense until it hits the same pressure.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:43 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by 98cherryram
Blower: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Supercharger: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26um%3D1

blowers tend to pull more air than a standard supercharger therefore causing it to make more horsepower. How does that sound? about right?

They are the same concept, using the same means to build higher horsepower though if that is what you wanted to hear.
a blower and a supercharger are the same thing. the words are interchangeable. the two images you have up are of two different types of sueprcharger. the first one (im guessing) is a twin screw. the second one is a centrifugal/vane type, basically the compressor half of a turbocharger but with a belt drive instead of a turbine wheel drive. wiki has good stuff on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superch...f_supercharger

Last edited by xfeejayx; 09-05-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:44 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

He's talking about a basically stock SS not a supercharged/turbo charged SS though. So it would be an equal race as far as elevation and temp is concerned

Last edited by truckin151; 09-03-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:58 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by truckin151
He's talking about a basically stock SS not a supercharged/turbo charged SS though. So it would be an equal race as far as elevation and temp is concerned
oh, gotcha. i, for some reason, assumed the ss was blown. i'll just stay out of this thread...

Old 09-03-2009, 04:03 PM
V10Venom
Captain

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
a blower and a supercharger are the same thing. the words are interchangeable. the two images you have up are of two different types of sueprcharger. the first one (im guessing) is a twin screw. the second one is a centrifugal/vane type, basically the turbine half of a turbocharger but with a belt drive instead of a compressor wheel drive. wiki has good stuff on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superch...f_supercharger
I agree! No difference between a blower. When you say centrifugal, roots, or twin-screw, you can follow up by saying supercharger or blower. Same thing

Old 09-03-2009, 04:08 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hemi slappin
TMR delete?? this is my first dodge.. so fill me in on this.. i dont know this abreviation
Torque Management Relay - for the 03 hemi's anyway, you can subvert the torque management that drops power during tranny shifts. Wakes it up.

As for the whole SS vs Ram hemi vs Lightning thing, I look at it this way. An SS is a specialty speed truck, a Lightning is a specialty speed truck. The SS is only marginally faster than a Dodge V-8 upgrade pickup. The Lightning is of course much faster because it's smaller, lighter and supercharged. It's like comparing apples and oranges, but says alot for that little 5.7 we're all running. Now compare our specialty speed truck, the SRT-10 against an SS and a Lightning and see what happens. It's pretty much the only reason I would buy a reg cab SRT-10, just to hunt other wimpier trucks and destroy them.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:26 PM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)

SRT 10, Lightning, and SS are in one class. Hemies are not even in the same class!

Quick Reply: Hemi vs SS