3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi vs SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:09 PM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well said Joe, I agree!

Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

All Dodge needs is an Allison Tranny in a Ram.....then it's over with

Having said that, GM does have some of the absolute best drivetrains and tranny combos in trucks and in some cars.......but they also have their fair share of problems too..

Old 09-02-2009, 07:04 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

I gotta say, one of the companies that I wash for, the guy that owns it does custom semi trucks, and also likes to do some custom pickups, and he has an SS that would own any one of our dodges, I dont care what any of you say you have done to them, he has it stroked out, aftermarket supercharger, and just about any part you can imagine, short of running a blower on it, now that said, the guy is a millionaire by now and his SS runs his corvette in everything thats straight with no problems, I think last he said his SS was pushing 700+ to the ground... never told me what it was to the flywheel though. That said, I think the SS has a lot of untapped potential that most of our hemis dont unless you want to drop some major $$$$. And I also have to say, his son has an SS that just has exhaust done to it, and he would still whoop my *** anytime, so Ill just let you know that, and I have a shift kit, and an intake, and as far as I can tell thats all that I have, Im still going through my truck trying to figure out if anything else was done.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:17 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i think the driver also has a big part in who would win a race. my dad can beat pretty much any vehicle off the lights but with the 5 speed transmision he can't keep up to the small cars.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:08 PM
N.O.Bricks

would my hemi beat a stock 4 door titan?

Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 98cherryram
I gotta say, one of the companies that I wash for, the guy that owns it does custom semi trucks, and also likes to do some custom pickups, and he has an SS that would own any one of our dodges, I dont care what any of you say you have done to them, he has it stroked out, aftermarket supercharger, and just about any part you can imagine, short of running a blower on it,

Can you tell me the difference between an aftermarket supercharger and a blower????

Old 09-02-2009, 09:45 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 05DodgeRamHemi
With this said, even if an SS can win a race against a stock qc Hemi....I think the Ram 1500 is an all around more valuable truck. Think about, a ram 1500 with four doors, four wheel drive, and a hemi serves as a much better asset than a Silverado SS. Sure the SS will win, but while the SS is barely beating a Hemi which can actually be used as a truck and have room to play with performance vehicles, I just have a ton of admiration for the Ram with the Hemi. It's just more practical. I love having a TRUCK that is meant for work, but has the performance of many strictly performance labeled vehicles, you can't get better than that.

I think the SS looks great, but c'mon, imagine trying to load some cement bags in the back of that bed, the bed would be hitting tire within five bags..
The SS uses the same motor that the Camaro uses. So as far as power, the SS has probably more potential than the Hemi. The only problem is the torque isn't that what a truck needs for pulling. But it still can tow a trailer. So those trucks could tow just as much as ours could in the bed.

Originally Posted by Bluesmanjesse
Can you tell me the difference between an aftermarket supercharger and a blower????
A blower is a supercharger. It's basically in the looks and design of it. My brother has a supercharger on his truck, a Magnacharger, and that's a blower pretty much. The only thing is that it isn't like the blower on the Charger in The Fast And The Furious. They both provide boost and are forced induction for the engine. I'm not sure specifics, but they basically are the same thing.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

All I was suggesting was that the clearance level on the SS's is much too low to add any kind of serious weight into the bed. They tried too hard making a truck that had the performance of its fellow counterparts (RAM SRT-10 and SVT Lightning) but had the usability of a regular truck. A lot of people were complaining about spending $50,000 on a single cab truck that could only go fast and THAT'S IT. I wouldn't buy a truck just to go fast in, I'd buy a car for that. However, buying a Ram 1500 or a Toyota Tundra is an undercover way of getting that performance you want while being able to attain true truck like usability, which is paramount in my view.

Again, I really like the SS, I think it's kind of a neat idea, but I think they look a little boaty how long they are and low to the ground, just seems to kind of contradict. I like how the Hemi and I-Force are on the D.L about their performance, all while being able to be a true truck with true clearance and four wheel drive.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:56 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 05DodgeRamHemi
All I was suggesting was that the clearance level on the SS's is much too low to add any kind of serious weight into the bed. They tried too hard making a truck that had the performance of its fellow counterparts (RAM SRT-10 and SVT Lightning) but had the usability of a regular truck. A lot of people were complaining about spending $50,000 on a single cab truck that could only go fast and THAT'S IT. I wouldn't buy a truck just to go fast in, I'd buy a car for that. However, buying a Ram 1500 or a Toyota Tundra is an undercover way of getting that performance you want while being able to attain true truck like usability, which is paramount in my view.

Again, I really like the SS, I think it's kind of a neat idea, but I think they look a little boaty how long they are and low to the ground, just seems to kind of contradict. I like how the Hemi and I-Force are on the D.L about their performance, all while being able to be a true truck with true clearance and four wheel drive.
What about the guys who put lowering shackles on their trucks to pull them lower to the ground? That'll bring it lower.

And one of the marketing points of those trucks was the ability to still be able to tow with them. The SRT-10, I would never tow with that, nor with the Lightning. The SS can still be supercharged to keep up with those trucks.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:27 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Originally Posted by ried69
The SS uses the same motor that the Camaro uses. So as far as power, the SS has probably more potential than the Hemi. The only problem is the torque isn't that what a truck needs for pulling. But it still can tow a trailer. So those trucks could tow just as much as ours could in the bed.
You are slightly incorrect here. The SS Silverado uses an iron cast block of the LS2, which was only available in the GTO and Corvette in the USA. The Camaro only used the LS1 in its final years.

Also, the engine produces essentially identical numbers to the Hemi up until the 2010 model, as it went with 345hp/380ftlbs... As of 2007, the Sierra Denali (GMC's version of the SS so to speak) is the only half ton pickup that has a 6.2 liter with 403 hp (301 kW) and 417 lb·ft (565 N·m) of torque coupled to a six speed transmission. This truck is also an optional all wheel drive vehicle and goes 0-60 mph in 6.3 seconds.

So while the truck was never intended for "hauling" as you say, it was fully equiped to perform and be used as a daily truck. If anything, it was the best combination of performance and utility of any of the "Big 3" performance trucks, as you could at least still truly use this truck at work.

Say what you want, but GM builds some nice trucks...

Quick Reply: Hemi vs SS