3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hail damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009 | 10:48 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

1st off, why was it not in the garage?

2nd, the parts you listed don't even cost half the price your insurance is paying. Maybe the body shop is in insurance fraud?

Old 09-01-2009 | 10:54 PM
Albertaramfan
|
Captain

That's the same problem I have!!! I have a backup generator in one side of the garage and the other side has a railing for the stairs leading to the basement. So it doesn't fit in either. Were currently in the process of building a 2600 sq ft shop tho with an air powered in ground hoist (runs off of the air compressor). It should be finished by the end of october so no more parking outside!!

Old 09-01-2009 | 11:01 PM
Albertaramfan
|
Captain

There is $4,978.85 in parts and $6,499 in labor
Parts I can't explain however there is 97 hours labor at $67/hr

That's BEFORE my paint.

Also I don't think the body shop is commiting fraud. The insurance company had their own "catastrophe appraiser" come out and appraise it.

Old 09-01-2009 | 11:03 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

I just moved up to North Dakota and apparently they have the highest rate of comp claims to insurance for hail in the nation... the house i just bought has an oversized garage (one of the top things on my list while househunting) but that only protects the truck when im home... not when im out on alerts. I'll probably be doing some hail damage claims as well...

Old 09-01-2009 | 11:05 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star

ouch that looks like it hurt and you also get to pick new siding it looks like for your house and keep it color matched to your trucks new paint job and that is a lot of labor time for paint work body shops around here would maybe be about 45hrs in that sort of job but hey insurance is paying almost all of it so i dont know why everyone is complaining its not coming out of there pocket
cant wait to see what you are going to paint it

Old 09-01-2009 | 11:12 PM
Albertaramfan
|
Captain

Yea I'm not sure why so long. Possibly because they're doing door skins rather than just new doors and they are replacing the roof instead of repairing it. I also know the cab corner is no easy task to cut out and replace.
I'm not to worried tho I rather it take a month and be done proper than it take a week and come out ****ty. As for paint I've given them an idea and told them to play with it a bit to make it suit the truck. It's gonna be black and blue two tone with a design incorporated into it.

Old 09-09-2009 | 11:11 PM
Albertaramfan
|
Captain

Here are some mid repair pics. Sorry about the poor quality and size they're off my cell. Shes got a new roof on her now and will be about two more weeks till paint according to the body shop.

Name:  103.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  11.0 KB
Name:  102.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  10.8 KB
Name:  101.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  9.8 KB

I'll try to get some more before paint.

Old 09-10-2009 | 01:07 PM
John M
Record Breaker

My truck was badly damaged by hail almost 2 years ago. It really was a golf ball -- no panel went un-dented. The hood and roof had the most damage.

The paintless dent removal folks from Hail Masters were in the area (storm chasers) and made it like new with zero body work. It took them about two full days but it truly looks showroom. No paint, no bondo, just a like-new truck.

They did an equally-awesome job on my Subaru Legacy too. It's got aluminum body panels which requires better PDR skills. These guys are impressive and I recommend them to anyone.

Old 09-10-2009 | 10:00 PM
Albertaramfan
|
Captain

I would have loved to go paintless however they said the truck had been painted before so paintless wasn't an option. I don't mind the wait. Just check back hen she's done and you'll see why

Old 09-22-2009 | 09:21 PM
Albertaramfan
|
Captain

Taped off the design yesterday and it should have been painted today!
Hoping to have her back on the road by Friday then some pics will be posted by the end of the weekend.

Quick Reply: Hail damage