3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tug-o-war...i got to beat him.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you don't break anything bc that is what typically happens with one of these showdowns.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:41 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Figure it like this....Strap your truck to the base of 2ft diam. tree. One that you won't pull out. Put your truck in 4wd and try to yank it out. That's what it will be like hooked up to that diesel...
sooooo, you'll need more than 400#'s back there to start. i run 400#'s all winter long. i would say 800lbs is more like it. You don't want too much as it will pull wieght off the front, but 400 is like dropping lint in the back of your truck....lol

You could spray your tires down with traction aid, like they spray on the pavement for drag races. That would surely help, but remember one thing. Something has got to give and if anything, it will be something on your truck and not his. His truck is made for this sorta thing. Yours isn't. Your 1500 gasser is a grocery getter compared to a 2500 diesel.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Make a vid of this tug of war bc I want to see what happens. Probably not going to be pretty for you.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:19 AM
regert
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Make a vid of this tug of war bc I want to see what happens. Probably not going to be pretty for you.

+1 for me, would like to see this showdown. I have a buddy with a 09 f150 fx4 and he wants to tug with my 04 ram hemi

Old 09-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Lifted4x4Astro
Professional

You don't mention if his truck is a super cab or crew cab. Yours being a 1500 MC (2500 chassis), you guys will be close in weight if his is a regular cab. Let some air out of your tires, throw 1500# in the rear and get some skinny tires. Just give it a little gas and go very slow. He is gonna hammer it down and get his new WIDE tires spinning quickly. When he does, you can pull him slowly away. Do it in high range otherwise you will just break the tires free.

If you do this on pavement, you must be stupid or wealthy! You take the chance of busting axle shafts, u-joints, t-case output and possibly the tranny. Do the pull on hard packed gravel where you both have the chance of tire spin.

Please take video and post it up for us. If you lose, you can say the low end torque of the diesel got you. If you win you get to bust his ***** forever!

Old 09-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Hooking is a sport here in Ohio lol. We have events every month for it.

As for you vs him, i wouldn't do it. You have a newer truck with a hemi, and he has a diesel. He'll pull you like he's not even attached to anything, and you'll end up breaking something and warranty won't cover it.

Here's a link to our local truck pulls. There's a bunch of vids
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...elID=381539674

Last edited by Got_Hemi44; 09-11-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:46 AM
V10Venom
Captain

Originally Posted by regert
+1 for me, would like to see this showdown. I have a buddy with a 09 f150 fx4 and he wants to tug with my 04 ram hemi
At least that would be fair

Old 09-11-2009, 12:13 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a pull it's all about technique, not hardware. Simply hold your brakes and wait for him to lose traction - even the slightest bit. The second he does, get on the gas and you'll drag him around.

You've got similar weight and tires so he doesn't have an advantage in getting things moving. Any amount of torque is pointless if the tires can't put it down.

This is how all the pull videos happen on YouTube.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:31 PM
V10Venom
Captain

Originally Posted by John M
In a pull it's all about technique, not hardware. Simply hold your brakes and wait for him to lose traction - even the slightest bit. The second he does, get on the gas and you'll drag him around.

You've got similar weight and tires so he doesn't have an advantage in getting things moving. Any amount of torque is pointless if the tires can't put it down.

This is how all the pull videos happen on YouTube.
Good advice, but if he hooks up he will pull the dodge even with brakes locked.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:34 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by regert

I would actually put my money on the f-150.
The 09's have 6spd auto tranny's and are geared very diff from the Rams. My father's 2009 F-150 w/3:55 rear gears will pull out of the hole w/5,000lbs WAAAY better than my truck w/3:92.
Now, at speed, the Ram is a different story, but the fact is that the Fords have much better low end grunt than the Ram do. Soory to say it, but it's true.
Unless a Ram has 4:10's or higher, a Terd will pull them around all day long.
Diesels, no comparison at all. They have the weight and power.

Quick Reply: Tug-o-war...i got to beat him.