3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil on spark plugs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:01 AM
Jjov09
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on spark plugs!!!

So I found oil on my old spark plugs when I was replacing them. Does anyone know what the cause of this could be? Do I have to change the valve cover gasket? I have A 2002 1500 ram 5.9l v8 thanks for your help!!!!!

Old 09-12-2009, 07:52 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Depends. Have you been checking your oil and seeing it a little low here and there or any smoke out the tail pipe? The oil ring on the pistons could be bad and not wiping the cylinder of oil on the way down and thus it getting on the plug. Or it could be the valve seat seals. I dont think Im saying that last part right but I cant think of the right verbage. Someone else will come in and say the correct name for it....Sry....Its still early.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:22 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

If it was rings, it would be burning off. It's probably a valve continuing to leak after the engine is shut down.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:46 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, prob just your valve guide seals. They aren't that difficult to change. They just take time is all.
A box of seals can't cost more than $20. But you'll need to have specific tools to get the job done.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Jjov09

How would I go about replacing the valve seals. I'm pretty mechanic savvy so I'm pretty sure I could get it done myself. Thank your for your responses.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:53 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjov09
How would I go about replacing the valve seals. I'm pretty mechanic savvy so I'm pretty sure I could get it done myself. Thank your for your responses.
Pick up either a Haynes or a Chiltons book and it will show you in there along with the tools needed. I think the books are in the area of $15-$25 Well worth it for doing anything else. A good investment.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:16 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I am guessing that the oil is on the end of the plugs and not on the outside?
If outside, then yes, valve cover gaskets.
If inside, then it could be the valve guide seals. You have to remove the valve springs to access them. Not real difficult, you must remove the valve covers and rocker arms to access the retainers and keepers to remove the springs. You will need an air fitting to pump compressed air into the cylinders as you remove the springs or the valves will drop and you will have to pull the head to get them out. You will also need a valve spring compressor.

Quick Reply: Oil on spark plugs!!!