3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with alignment after leveling

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:07 PM
RAM15004X4
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with alignment after leveling

I finally got my level kit installed and I've got a couple questions. I know I should get an alignment as soon as possible and from what I've read I need a 4x4 speciality shop to do the job because regular alignment shops will only set the alignment to stock specs, is that right?

I was driving the truck in 4x4 and noticed prior to today and also today that when the 4x4 is engaged that my truck has trouble with making turns. It is like it wants to drag one of the rear tires and is really noticeable on pavement. Is this how a 4x4 behaves?

Old 09-13-2009, 10:13 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

STOP driving in 4x4 on the pavement. You're trashing it. 4x4 is for slippery conditions like dirt, ice, sand, etc. It actually requires a little slippage.

As far as the alignment, you don't need a 4wd place. Go to Just Tires or something.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not drive your truck in 4x4 on dry pavement while making turns it is bad for it you need loose traction for making turns so that the front wheels can slip.
When your in 4x4 the front wheels spin at the same speed and when you turn one of them has to go faster but cant because each wheel is doing a different radius the outside makes a big arc while the inside makes a small arc and you bind the wheels up I broke a upper control arm doing this on gravel but it was a slow uphill turn and they didnt slip

So you should only do 4x4 on pavement if the wheels are able to slip or you are making a shallow turn so as to not bind it up

Also a shop that does alignments will align the truck to how it needs to be done because stock doesnt work for everybody

Old 09-13-2009, 10:30 PM
RAM15004X4
Amateur

Thanks guys for the quick reply and straight advice. I've never driven my truck in 4wd on dry pavement before, but thought I should try it out after the level kit install to see if I had the notorious shudder problem (which, I don't seem to have). I made a few wide turns around the parking lot and hope I didn't screw up anything. I know that it definitely shaved some rubber off the rear tires. Hopefully, that is as bad as it will be. Everything seemed to be okay when I went back to 2wd, so I hope I haven't cause too much premature wearing of anything.

I'll try a couple of regular alignment shops to see if they think they can do the job. Are there any questions other than letting them know I have a level kit on the front that I should ask to be able to tell if the shop can do the work correctly? Thanks again guys.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:17 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

The only thing you need to ask is how much they charge. Just pull in and ask for an alignment. There is nothing special about our front ends.

Quick Reply: Help with alignment after leveling