3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Nite shades over chrome rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:38 PM
JOHNSN10
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nite shades over chrome rear bumper

i was thinking of lightly wet sanding my rear chrome bumper then using nite shades over it-maybe 2 coats so that it will be black but also show the shiney chrome through it making it look glossy. Any body try nite shades over chrome? You think it will stick? I might give it a shot and if it doesnt work i can always just sandblast it and powdercoat it.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:46 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHNSN10
i was thinking of lightly wet sanding my rear chrome bumper then using nite shades over it-maybe 2 coats so that it will be black but also show the shiney chrome through it making it look glossy. Any body try nite shades over chrome? You think it will stick? I might give it a shot and if it doesnt work i can always just sandblast it and powdercoat it.
Try it if you want but i would advise you not to. NITE SHADES is mad specifically for plastic and, as I have never tried it, I don't think it would turn out good. If you try it tho let us know how it goes.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:01 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

It'd be cool to try. Unfortunately, it won't turn out the way you think it will in your head. For metal, you'll need a little rougher sanding to make the nite shades stick. Then it'll look kinda scratched under the black coating. And you might also chip off the chrome paint from the bumper. If you want a black chrome bumper, you'll probably have to spend the money on turning it black chrome properly.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:43 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

you know i tried this on one of my letters that i took off and it didnt work out too good. i sanded the hell out of it and it didnt stick at all. Maybe the chrome on the bumper is different

Old 09-14-2009, 01:12 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

i did the ram on my tailgate with night shades. no sanding at all bc i didnt want to take away from the chrome shine. here is a pic after a year and it looked fine. i know that it is plastic and a much smaller area. that would be my main concern, the size of it. do you have any shops that could do the black chrome finish for you?

Old 09-14-2009, 01:24 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The main thing you have to do when painting metal is lay down a clear adhesion promoter. I'm not sure how well this will do on your mission, but it should at least make it stick better.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:58 AM
JOHNSN10
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if nite shades is more suited for plastic,will it work on the fake stock 20" chrome rims? They are actually plastic covers and not real chrome

Old 09-14-2009, 01:10 PM
paul07
Veteran

duplicolor sells a transparent anodized paint in several colors including black, which will still leave the chrome underneath, I would not reccomend night shades on chrome, it will turn a purplish hue.

Quick Reply: Nite shades over chrome rear bumper