3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help - Can These step bars be saved?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009 | 11:46 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

I obtained some that were not quite that bad, but similar. I sanded them down and applied three coats of primer. Then I used a product called Plasti-Dip which is a rubbery coating that is very durable. I have had them on now for almost a year and all is good.

Old 09-17-2009 | 11:59 PM
Snaximus

rss... Those look real good, kinda flat black. NICE.

Poppa, Are those dents I see? , it might suck to put work into them and then seeing those dents. But if they aren't that bad, media blast 'em and see if the decay has just gone thru the original finish or if it has started to eat into the metal.

If you were interested in the finish look of the spray on bedliner... they make do it yourself kits for that. One kit is less than 100 bucks. Probably won't even take a whole can.

Last edited by Snaximus; 09-18-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-28-2009 | 10:38 AM
bigpappaholt
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by rssjib
I obtained some that were not quite that bad, but similar. I sanded them down and applied three coats of primer. Then I used a product called Plasti-Dip which is a rubbery coating that is very durable. I have had them on now for almost a year and all is good.

what grip sand paper did you use? id love to do these my self to save money... trying to black out my truck

Old 09-28-2009 | 02:32 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Not sure of the grit - maybe a 220 or so? I had some sandpaper in the garage, and I used it. I think I went with some 150 first, then the 220. Just kept sanding until it was pretty smooth. I used some regular Rustoleum primer, and then the Plasti-Dip stuff. If goes on kind of satin black. Good thing is, since it is a rubbery based product, it shines up nice with Armor-all type products.

Quick Reply: Help - Can These step bars be saved?