3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2008 4.7 1500 power issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:30 PM
PETE_YK
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck did the same thing, noticable in the summer especially, but i wouldnt say its a huge power loss. My homemade CAI seemed to rectify the problem.
Is it possible that you are interpreting the problem as a simple matter of temperature differential? If you have a stock intake it will still suck in air from under the hood and after cruisin around for a bit it can HOT in there therefore reducing the density of the air as we all know that makes for less power!!!

Old 09-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Dalt10
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even with the low mileage I thought it was your cat but you had it replaced. If you are loosing that much power something is wrong. If the Tech agreed that something is wrong you need to go higher up the food chain at that dealer or go to another dealer. If they say it happens to all of the 08 4.7's then they need to let you drive one with a tech and then drive yours with a tech. The first story they always use is "They all do that". I had problems with my 02 when I first bought it and they used the same excuse. I kept bugging them until it was fixed.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Syncro

Thanks for the reply Bluedsteel and dunerider650. One thing that may be a factor is the production date. My '08 was built in late 2007, if you guys get a chance it would be interesting to see when your trucks were made. The date is printed on a placard in the door jamb.

I just picked up my truck today and there seemed to be a difference, but I have not had the chance to really drive it so I'll post the outcome as soon as I'm sure.

On a side note dunerider, I am aware of hot air reducing performance (former pilot) but the difference should not be that great, at least not to the point where the truck feels that sluggish. My wife has one of the new VW bug's, just a plain jane 4 banger with no blower, and it will eat my RAM for lunch on hot days, thing is I can't see a noticable difference in the little car winter or summer. And you are also right dunerider, on cold days that 4.7 really moves!

Old 09-29-2009, 01:11 AM
Syncro

Thanks Dalt10, I fully agree and will let you guys know in a day or so if they finally got it this time. Its been in the shop all told about a month.

Your '02 is a sharp looking ride! I had a red '02 standard cab, 4.7 which was flawless for 75k, except for the passenger pwr window.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 AM
SilentRamAD
Veteran
Unhappy

Well that was rather hard to read up on a fellow 08 4.7 having issues like this >.< I've had mine since Sep 08, it just turned over 6k earlier this month (yeah I don't drive it too long a distances but that will change soon) I've taken it up to Vegas a few times already so it's seen its share of hot weather and I can't say I've experienced any significant difference in power. But as of tonight I finally got to install my K&N and she really opens up now (Well tonight she did ^_^).

I'd say bug the hell out of the dealers and get it fixed, I'd hate to see you stray from a Dodge ~_~.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 AM
Syncro

Homemade CAI eh? Sounds interesting Pete_YK. I know where you're coming from with hot air. I'd be interested to know what/how you did it. My '02 also slowed a little in summer, but not like this one!

Old 09-29-2009, 06:46 AM
kah1010

You mentioned that you live in Tahoe CA?

If I remember correctly Tahoe is about 5,000 above sea level (= thin air) and a hot day makes your air even thinner. 5,000 feet above sea lever + 90F temperature = 8,000 feet density altitude (=your truck "breathes" like driving in that altitude).

So I am wondering whether you have problems with air intake, due to your altitude.

K

Old 09-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Ben D.
Champion

18500 on mine and no such problems. Mine's been problem free since the day I bought it. build date is april of 2008

Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 AM
bluedsteel

My manufacture date is pretty easy for me to remember, October 31st 2007 (Wednesday).

Picked it up used in January with 3,777 miles on it, previous owner had it for 6 months, all when gas went up past $3.

Going from a '98 Dakota to this was the best thing I ever did, even if I had to completely rearrange the garage to fit a Ram and Durango (the 5.9 in that thing really gets up and goes).

Jim

Old 09-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Syncro

Originally Posted by bluedsteel
My manufacture date is pretty easy for me to remember, October 31st 2007 (Wednesday).

Picked it up used in January with 3,777 miles on it, previous owner had it for 6 months, all when gas went up past $3.

Going from a '98 Dakota to this was the best thing I ever did, even if I had to completely rearrange the garage to fit a Ram and Durango (the 5.9 in that thing really gets up and goes).

Jim

Thanks for looking, mine was built the same month, 10/2007. I noticed you mentioned a 5.9, if thats the case it may not have the same issues as mine which is a 4.7

On a positive note, the issue may finally be resolved (I think!) After my last post I drove the truck pretty hard last night, temps were in the low 70's, but the truck had been sitting all day on the dealers lot in 85 degree sun. It ran just fine, as it did on my way home from the shop earlier in the day. None of the sluggishness, no excessive engine noise, just a clean roar when the gas was hit and plenty of juice.

Just what they did after all the unsuccessful attempts in the last month may be something I'll never fully know. The tech mentioned something about re-programming the transmission shift points and a vague mention of a sensor.

All told they replaced the cat, fan clutch, fan pulley and belt, and supposedly re-programmed the transmission.

Anyway, it seems OK now. I can't get on the road today, so it will be later in the week for a real test. I have to drive to Sacramento and that should tell the story one way or the other. I'll post the outcome after my trip.

Frank

Quick Reply: 2008 4.7 1500 power issue