3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turbo for v6???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 01:03 PM
speed_man13
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo for v6???

I dunno if there is anything out there for us V6 guys...maybe Chambers can help...he might have it...but is there a turbo for the v6?? I thinking of just modding my truck since I cant afford a new one...I got 4500 bucks to work with. I usually do my own work and was just curious about the turbo and what else I would need to add in with it...like exhaust and headers maybe?? ne help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Old 09-25-2009, 02:52 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No man I don't have the money to spend on a turbo. I haven't seen any kits designed for the v6 ram's so your best bet is probably a universal kit like the one STS sells. Good luck and keep us updated if you decide to go through with the turbo.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Twink
Veteran

too much lag with the small sts turbo's been there done that... its garbage

go blower.. 9psi with a overpully is great..

plus with the small motor it doesnt lag at all.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:50 PM
speed_man13
Professional

ok cool thanks for the info....I hate to sound like others on here, but twink, could u point me in a direction to start lookin for a blower and stuff (just brand names really n stuff like that) and is it pretty self explanatory to find and such??? And with the blower, should I go with headers and exhaust too or will the stock trinkets work with it all....just wondering???

Old 09-26-2009, 12:17 AM
chambers
Record Breaker

Twink any advice as to how to keep this https://dodgeforum.com/forum/v6-spec...hooopeddd.html from happening to a blown 3.7?

Old 09-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Twink
Veteran

i dont suggest either of you even bother doing the blower.. it took me hours and hours to fab everything up.. and it is not worth it.. the motor cannot take that much although mine goes pretty good now i have spent morre money on this crappy v6 then i coulda dropped a big block hemi in it and have 3x the amount of power the blown v6 is.. i wouldnt suggest it.. my blower is off a liberty from a shop in calgary bc canda called rippen customs ltd ( i can try and find the number for you ) i had to fab up throttle bottle relocation brackets and do alot of work.. its not easy and it cost me a motor

Old 09-26-2009, 08:40 PM
chambers
Record Breaker

Thanks Twink, that's kind of what I figured and I'm relatively happy w/ how my truck is performing after all I've done to it. I just thought it would be good to bring that up before speed_man started ordering parts and realized he would likely end up needing a new motor.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:42 AM
speed_man13
Professional

well hey, thanks both of u! saves me a little bit of money....guess it can go as a down payment for another bigger one...lol

Old 09-28-2009, 01:33 AM
xanadu62
Rookie

If you want to boost the v6, you REALLY need to lower the compression ratio. This thing runs with a 9.7 to 1 comp ratio! The best thing to do would be to build the crap out of the top end, dish the pistons, and increase air flow, or to machine a set of custom shims that go over your cylinders, then fab up an intake manifold. What ever you do, do the homework first, then do the job right.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:32 AM
wolfius68
Default hemi engine

Ok, so what do you suggest dropping into one of these crappy little v6's to make them not v6's anymore? the 5.9 hemi? would it need much work? would it need a transmission adjustment/swap?

FYI, depending on where you get the engine from, it's not always that much money really. Two out of two local junk yards said they could get me the Hemi at near 50,000 miles for around $2000, one of these places said they'd throw in the computer and other components for another $200 or so.

By the way, wouldn't throwing in higher octane gas or octane booster fix that C/R problem?

Last edited by wolfius68; 10-01-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo for v6???