3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 05:31 PM
frogslinger
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Performance

ORIGINAL: guido7

Frog, first I want to say thanks for your military service, I am a Vietnam Vet., disabled...and proud !!
Secondly, I dont believe anyone is calling you antiamerican, I just think they are voicing their opinions of what they feel regarding your thoughts and their own....
The bottom line is this.... If you feel good about the GTO and like its specs and character, the buy it.... its your money, your choice and opinions, are only that, "opinions".....
I am a die hard flagwaver, but I am the only one that decides on how I will spend my money.... BUT I DO like the thoughts of others, as to get a good idea on what is known, and felt......
A simple example is that I have ridden Harleys for 40 years, but after much research and deliberation I decided to go to a rice burner (yamaha Roadie 98ci, custom built), and I dont regret it at all..... it was my choice, and my buddies say nothing, even tho they all ride Harleys.....
I reccomend this.... absorb the input from my fellow DF people, and then, SPEND your money the way you want.... DF people are great, they know and want to help.... but its your choice....

Let us know what you do, and post pics when you do it....[sm=americanasmiley.gif]
Thanks for the support... I did not mean to intimate that I felt I was being accused of anything, however I am a long term car forum type and i know that is the direction that posts tend to go if anyone starts supporting non american cars in an american car forum. Just wanted to head off any unplesentness.

Old 04-02-2005, 07:39 PM
frogslinger
Captain

ORIGINAL: vipersforsale

I dont know about yours, but my Dodge was built in the Fenton, Missouri, USA plant, not in mexico, only the engine itself is assembled there, otherwise it is 75% USA and Canada... built by us fellow americans with the hourly pay going into our own pockets. It might have variety of parts from places all over, but so does every car made out there. But all the same the GTO is far from being an american car, about the only thing that makes it american is the Chevy nameplates.

Also about the performance parts and the computers on the HEMI and other motors for that matter, they kinda learn your driving style by averaging the last few hundred miles as mentioned before. But what you fail to understand, is that if you dont put all the parts on at one time, you may never really feel much of a difference to begin with anyway. After all it already has the 345 HP, unless you add another 100 HP or so your butt cant really tell the difference.

No doubt your an american, not questioning nor commenting on that, doesnt matter anyway... just not as impressed with the GTO that I drove over the weekend as you, I guess if you like a 400 HP motor in what basically amounts to a monte carlo then go right ahead and spend that money on it. But you'd be better off buying a used Trans Am or Camaro for $10 - $15 grand less and using the rest of the money to do improvements and you will end up with something far more powerful and handling way better and that already lost its value to begin with.

I will be honest I have not had a chance to drive the 05 yet... just the 04... which did not completly impress me, however from what I understand the LS2 is far superior (better throttle response, drive line etc)... but the interior was larger than my camaro and the fit and finish was great.

The fact that my butt will not be able to tell less than 100 HP not withstanding, if as I have been told the truck will negate any upgrades, what is the point of doing them? And as to buying 10-15 grand of upgrades for a camaro... that was my third option but 1) that chasis is nowhere near as good as the GTO (camaros unibody is junk and the cars squeek and rattle), 2) Would rather finance my performance through GM not visa 3) The stock GTO will outhandle most camaros out there.

Also, it is my understanding that most Quad Cabs are assembeled in mexico. All the ones on the local lot were.

My thing is that I like my truck a lot, but with what I want out of it/to do to it I could by a brand new vehicle, so i am trying to work out which plkan works better. Either way I am going to hang around cause like I said, my girl drives the SRT

Old 04-02-2005, 08:05 PM
guido7
Veteran

ya gotta love these discussions.... Damn, we learn so much from oneanother..too friggin cool for this old sniper...

best of luck Frog.......keep me posted.....GUIDO

Old 04-03-2005, 12:01 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

gotcha on the anti-visa financing plan, interest rates through them are usually at least 5 times higher than the automobile finance guys are...

Another alternative for you would be for you to marry your girlfriend so that the neon legally becomes half yours, let her drive your truck, and put whatever performance mods into the SRT-4 that you can afford and then you enjoy the looks on guys faces that you beat with it. Nothing better than the look of a defeated opponent especially when they have a v-8 and you have a 4 cylinder and a neon at that. I am sure that you may have to pry her hands off of it at first but it doesnt take women long to enjoy the superior stance of a pick-up. Just a thought...

It could be that the quad cabs are made there and the single cabs are made here, all I know is that I havent had one single problem with my truck in the 22,000 miles that I have had it except that it takes alot of $2.03 a gallon gas to fill it twice a week.

Old 04-03-2005, 03:17 PM
frogslinger
Captain

Another alternative for you would be for you to marry your girlfriend so that the neon legally becomes half yours, let her drive your truck, and put whatever performance mods into the SRT-4 that you can afford and then you enjoy the looks on guys faces that you beat with it. Nothing better than the look of a defeated opponent especially when they have a v-8 and you have a 4 cylinder and a neon at that. I am sure that you may have to pry her hands off of it at first but it doesnt take women long to enjoy the superior stance of a pick-up. Just a thought...
Well that is part of the plan and if you ever frequent the SRT section you might see my post about buyinh her some parts for her birthday. All I gotta do now is convince her father that it is ok to marry a "Man Of Color"

It could be that the quad cabs are made there and the single cabs are made here, all I know is that I havent had one single problem with my truck in the 22,000 miles that I have had it except that it takes alot of $2.03 a gallon gas to fill it twice a week.
Some but not all of them are. i have had a cuple minor problems... cruise quit working intermitently, and a relay fell out from under my dash. Also there is excessive tire wear... though that might have something to do with the burnouts.

On a side note... My truck looks a lot like yours, cept it is red and does not have the 20s... meaning it also has no 3.92 rear end and no limited slip... both things I want to fix if I keep it.

Also, your truck looks lowered... what kit did you use and how do you like it?

Old 04-03-2005, 06:05 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

my truck isnt lowered, its just that it seems that the 20's look bigeer on the single cabs than they do on the 4 doors...

just tell her dad you have a really deep tan, hehehe

Old 04-03-2005, 07:13 PM
hemiwolf
Rookie

Frog,

I think I can help here...
after all I have a 2003 HEMI quad cab AND a 2004 GTO.

1. I found that a SUPERCHIPS reprogrammer does an amazing job "waking up" the hemi. Noticable HP improvement (I'd say close to 20 rwhp) with no other mods on the truck. Since you have now reprogrammed the computer it isn't going to learn anything else. It won't reprogram itself back to normal with other mods you do. So if you want to upgrade, start with a programmer. Supercharger is a whole nother story. new fuel pump, new fuel injectors and a custom program would be needed... lots more money.

2. The 2005 ls2 GTO (33k sticker) is rated at 400hp at the crank. The 2004 is rated at 350 at the crank. Right now there are still a few 04's out there that you can get for 20K brand new if you ask real nice. Don't sweat that extra 50 HP, you have just saved yourself enough money that you can bolt on a supercharger or twin turbo kit and still be thousands less that the stock 05.

Food for thought.
hemiwolf

Old 04-04-2005, 11:52 AM
guido7
Veteran

Wolf, you mention you have a Superchip. I have been thinking of getting one, but hear that you have to continue to reprogram it every so often.... is that true, or a fairy tale... also I have 22" rims with low profile tires, the diameter of the tire is the same as my 20"s, but I wonder if you have to plug in anything to the comptr, to adjust for this.... Do you honestly feel it was worth the investment??? I also have 456 rear gears... any helpful info will be appreciated......GUIDO

Old 04-04-2005, 07:29 PM
hemiwolf
Rookie

I just posted some superchips numbers a day or two ago. There is a hill near my house that I ran a few passes against and with the programming I was over 1 second faster.
not sure how that will show up in an actual quarter mile run... but even if it is half that I think it is worth it. I haven't "noticed" the need to reprogram but I haven't had it that long either. I do have over-sized tires and there is an option to change your speedo to match based on total tire height.
Hope that helps

Old 04-04-2005, 09:52 PM
locked up
Professional

ORIGINAL: guido7

Wolf, you mention you have a Superchip. I have been thinking of getting one, but hear that you have to continue to reprogram it every so often.... is that true, or a fairy tale...
That would be a PITA.

I'd like to get something eventually .... but I don't know anything about the programmers (different brands, which is best, etc) ... and they seem pretty expensive. Wolf, how much was yours?

Quick Reply: Performance