3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trailering ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:45 PM
moosefire66
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering ?

I am heavily thinking about starting a lanscaping company here in Michigan, and had a couple q's about trailering. First off, I drive an '02 1500 4wd 4.7 Auto. I would prefer, assuming its not too expensive, to pull an enclosed trailer. Something like this....
http://www.trailershowroom.com/6x12sal.htm

This is stated in the description of the trailer....
*2,990 Pound GVW Leaf Spring Axle*

Would my truck be able to pull this, along with equipment? I dont have any mods to speak of, and would rather not spend money on modding right now. My gear ratio is a 3.55

Also, with a trailer of this size, or possibly larger, would you guys recommend a trailer brake, assuming the trailer has brakes equipped?

One more thing to consider, and I know I said that I didnt want to do any mods, but with something of this weight, not including equipment, would air bags in the rear make a difference and or help??? Just tryin to throw some ideas around on how much this would cost to get started. Let me know what yous think.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright I own my own landscaping/lawncare/brushremoval service and I would recommend not getting a closed trailer it will make everything hard on you we have a double axle trailer with a push 33" walk behind and a zeroturn lawnmower we have 2 5gal gas tanks plus the other nec equipment and I pull the trailer fine granted I also have the HEMI it does go down a little bit but not to much in the rear and i dont have trailer breaks either but an enclosed trailer would be a huge downfall to me as you can haul so much more brush can easily unload and load gravel dirt mulch makes taking equipment off nice and easy and a lot better visibility with backing up which we do a lot in and out of drive ways so if you want a professional opinion do not get the enclosed trailer unless you just want it also the double axle helps distribute the weight a little better but hope this helps you out

Old 09-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Jarrod904
Veteran

i also have a lawn care company and pull a trailer exactly like that without any problems at all.. and im lowered. you will be fine

i like enclosed because when you are out some where the little thieves cant take anything out of it and you dont have to load and unload it when you are done, just lock it up and park it!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:32 PM
draco8494
Captain

wow r lawn companies on the rise? u guys makin some money doin that? figured it would be a dieing thing sein that no1 has any money anymore but yeah x2 on double axle, the trailer takes most of the load not ur truck...and yeah you should be able to pull it just fine, might want to install an aftermarket tranny cooler? just cause

Old 09-29-2009, 10:22 PM
moosefire66
Veteran

Thanks for the help guys! Ridinhigh, I wanted the enclosed trailer just for the reason that Jarrod904 had mentioned, about theft. I do not have a place to park it indoors, and I live in a small suburb north of detroit. So I would like to be able to lock it up and have my mind at ease. I would like to have the open trailer just for the lighter weight, and visibility purpose though. Damn decisions. Sounds like a Double axle trailer is the way to go I see.... Jarrod904, What size is your trailer?? Also, what make is it? Happy with it?

Old 09-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Jarrod904
Veteran

Originally Posted by draco8494
wow r lawn companies on the rise? u guys makin some money doin that? figured it would be a dieing thing sein that no1 has any money anymore but yeah x2 on double axle, the trailer takes most of the load not ur truck...and yeah you should be able to pull it just fine, might want to install an aftermarket tranny cooler? just cause

theres always grass that needs to be cut! lol

and my trailer is 6x12? if i remember right.. i got it from a local place that sells trailers for like 2100 bucks or around there

and it all depends on how much stuff you will be toting around.. i got a 52" toro and 33" walk behind and all my other equipment and i have 0 problems with my single axle trailer

Last edited by Jarrod904; 09-30-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:54 AM
Ridinhigh
All Star

well we have never had problems with thieves knock on wood but we just store all of our equipment in a shed except for our zero turn which we have a heavy duty cover and we keep it on the trailer key removed with trailer lock behind a fence so now worries about thieves but the covered just doesnt suit our purpose for a trailer as we have so much other stuff were the covered just wont work

draco to answer your question business has been good and just got some news from another mowing company and i might be recieving another 10 accounts all banks and businesses but we lost about 5-6 to people buying there own mower to cut there grass but other than that its been good and we raised all of our prises last year by a good junk and didnt loose an account so we are making good money this year and didnt have to raise our prices

but i cant say how much you should get an open trailer if you really think about doing brush work and hauling mulch or dirt or gravel but thats because i do a decent amount of landscaping were those things are important but to each there own and x2 on the double axle also rides smoother over the bumps as well

Old 09-30-2009, 12:56 AM
Ridinhigh
All Star

Originally Posted by Jarrod904
theres always grass that needs to be cut! lol

and my trailer is 6x12? if i remember right.. i got it from a local place that sells trailers for like 2100 bucks or around there

and it all depends on how much stuff you will be toting around.. i got a 52" toro and 33" walk behind and all my other equipment and i have 0 problems with my single axle trailer
what 33" do you have we use a cub cadet self propelled got new this year and it cut like a dream plus a 46" cub cadet RZT

Old 09-30-2009, 01:31 AM
trailershowroom

Originally Posted by moosefire66
I am heavily thinking about starting a lanscaping company here in Michigan, and had a couple q's about trailering. First off, I drive an '02 1500 4wd 4.7 Auto. I would prefer, assuming its not too expensive, to pull an enclosed trailer. Something like this....
http://www.trailershowroom.com/6x12sal.htm

This is stated in the description of the trailer....
*2,990 Pound GVW Leaf Spring Axle*

Would my truck be able to pull this, along with equipment? I dont have any mods to speak of, and would rather not spend money on modding right now. My gear ratio is a 3.55

Also, with a trailer of this size, or possibly larger, would you guys recommend a trailer brake, assuming the trailer has brakes equipped?

One more thing to consider, and I know I said that I didnt want to do any mods, but with something of this weight, not including equipment, would air bags in the rear make a difference and or help??? Just tryin to throw some ideas around on how much this would cost to get started. Let me know what yous think.

Hello,

I own www.trailershowroom.com

You will not have any problem towing this trailer with your truck. You wouldn't have any trouble with it even if it were a tandem axle.

Air bags on your truck would be a waste of your money with a trailer of this size. It just doesn't have enough tongue weight to require air bags.

With the single axle version of the trailer being towed by a 1500 truck, you won't need trailer brakes. If you move to the tandem axle version and load it to near capacity, you may want to use the brakes. The single axle trailer doesn't come standard with brakes but they can be added as optional equipment. The tandem axle version comes with brakes on both axles as standard equipment.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me directly at 910-619-2875 (my personal cellular number).

If you would prefer to speak with my sales manager (Traci), she can be reached toll free at 1-877-45TRAILER (1-877-458-7245)

Rick McKeithan
President,
A1A2Z, Inc.
910-619-2875
www.trailershowroom.com

Last edited by trailershowroom; 09-30-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:56 PM
moosefire66
Veteran

Rick, Thanks for your help and generosity! Good to know that there are still some business owners out there that will go above and beyond to make someone feel that their not just some fly by night jackass to give ya some quick business. How is your business fairing in this economy?? And where are you located at?

Quick Reply: Trailering ?