3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ok something i dont no do you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009 | 07:07 PM
ramhunter9
|
Banned
Default ok something i dont no do you?

with a solid axle truck if you lift the front end with coil spacers 3" do you need to do a alingment . i cant think you would have to because your just lifting the axle . im used to the IFS witch you have to align it even after a t-bar crank. but now in the MEGA im doing a 3" coil and leaf suspension . and just getting my ducks in a row . only thing i can think of besides the kit is shocks . alignment??? ya or na

Old 09-29-2009 | 07:14 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

at 3 inches you might want to check in on getting a new pitman arm if the steering is the same as the old trucks. I never got my old truck aligned after mine and it ran just fine.

Old 09-29-2009 | 07:17 PM
ramhunter9
|
Banned

well topgunz didnt recomend the pitman arm untill you go 4" or more so i think thats out of the question.

Old 09-29-2009 | 07:22 PM
Ben D.
Champion

yea i forget why but i remember when i was active with jeeps you had to get alignment after doing a coil spacer lift..

Old 09-29-2009 | 07:26 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran

Yah you will need to align it because you will be pushing your axle down, which will put your draglink at a steeper angle, which will pull your passenger tire in, and push your drivers tire out.. all that it will really do is make it so your steering wheel isnt straight and you will lose your ability to turn sharp right corners.. if you dont care about the steering wheel then its fine but my buddy lifted his dodge and had the screwed up turning and it was a real PITA.. Although he went alot higher so i dont know how noticeable a 3inch spacer will be on the whole system.. And id get the drop pitman arm anyways even if they dont recoment it.. its only a couple hundred probably and makes things alot easier on the steering..

Old 09-29-2009 | 07:28 PM
ramhunter9
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Ben D.
yea i forget why but i remember when i was active with jeeps you had to get alignment after doing a coil spacer lift..
it just doesent seem like you would have to damm why do you all have IFS suspensions lol where is a solid when ya need it lol

Old 09-29-2009 | 07:30 PM
ramhunter9
|
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgeThunder
Yah you will need to align it because you will be pushing your axle down, which will put your draglink at a steeper angle, which will pull your passenger tire in, and push your drivers tire out.. all that it will really do is make it so your steering wheel isnt straight and you will lose your ability to turn sharp right corners.. if you dont care about the steering wheel then its fine but my buddy lifted his dodge and had the screwed up turning and it was a real PITA.. Although he went alot higher so i dont know how noticeable a 3inch spacer will be on the whole system.. And id get the drop pitman arm anyways even if they dont recoment it.. its only a couple hundred probably and makes things alot easier on the steering..
that sounds about right but 3" ?? i wouldnt think that would be a big difference like a 6" lift would.

Old 09-29-2009 | 07:39 PM
Ben D.
Champion

Originally Posted by ramhunter9
it just doesent seem like you would have to damm why do you all have IFS suspensions lol where is a solid when ya need it lol
last i had checked my wrangler had a dana 30 front axle which would be a solid front axle....

Old 09-29-2009 | 07:40 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran

yah I dont know how much 3 inch would make.. my buddy had something ridiculous like 12 inch lift with only using the drop pitman arm made for 8 inch or something.. Just tell them you dont want the alignment.. get it outta the shop and see how much steering to the right you lose.. If its bad then take it back to get aligned.. Its only like 100 dollars right

Old 09-29-2009 | 07:44 PM
ramhunter9
|
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgeThunder
yah I dont know how much 3 inch would make.. my buddy had something ridiculous like 12 inch lift with only using the drop pitman arm made for 8 inch or something.. Just tell them you dont want the alignment.. get it outta the shop and see how much steering to the right you lose.. If its bad then take it back to get aligned.. Its only like 100 dollars right
i do my own work . so ill be doing the install pretty easy but i dont do alignments didnt think i needed one .